Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
Us
State
Virginia
City
Carrollton
my daughter has a good friend who is involved with therapy dogs. I think that's the correct term. anyway the friend is planning a visit with one of her dogs. my daughter has hinted that I should get a house pet for my wife. my only comment: another responsibility I do not need. cleaning cat litter, yuk, trips to the vet - almost impossible. am I being too selfish?

Re: Dog and human sleep study - ranting

Does your wife want a pet? If she does not particularly then it shouldn’t be considered at all.

If she does long for a companion animal then you can think about it but you are right that you don’t need any extra responsibility.

There are certainly members here who find their pet a tremendous comfort. If it is something that would be considered you would have to choose very carefully.

If the therapy dog can visit that might be a good compromise. Even a welltrained pet of a friend might be an option if they would stop by fairly often

If you do choose to get a dog, I suggest one that is already trained as a therapy dog (training can take up to 2 years!) or a little one that doesn’t need too much exercise. Or an older one, also due to less exercise needs. Or get a cat. You have to realistically consider how busy you’ll be caring for your wife as her needs increase, and weigh that against the needs of caring for the pet — including its exercise needs. That said, animals can be a great comfort to both you and your wife.

Our current dog is fortunately past the puppy stage at 5 years and I wouldn’t trade her for the world. I plan on taking her for walks from my wheelchair, when I get one. When the time comes I can no longer do that, we’ll have to have friends or hire people to walk her if my CALS is too busy.

As a busy CALS, I love my dog. After saying that, there are times when he gets on my nerves as I feel like I go from PALs to my dog and back again. I have joked with this dog (5) and our older dog we lost right before getting this one, that I have a tally sheet going and the two of you are tied. There are days it seems if one calls, the other has to as well. Just like 2 toddlers.

However, I am a dog person and can’t see being without one. My DH, my PALS wasn’t a dog person before we married. Well, to say he loves our little dog would be an understatement. When DH is up in his WC, this dog climbs up on his lap and will not leave it for anything. He will ride around the neighborhood on his lap.

We always had German Shepherds and this one is a little Havanese. The shepherds were easier other than the fur. This little guy will cuddle and is cute, but talk about stubborn. If I were to get another dog, it would be a shepherd, hands down. Easier to train, easier to deal with all the way around.

If your wife wants a dog then I’d definitely consider it. If not, as others have said, opt for a visiting dog.

Hugs,

Sue

I totally get the "more work" part but I'm sure many pet owners here will tell of the benefits. (Jim's story about the bunny stretching out on and massaging his wife's legs comes to mind.)

Also I think of the "For the birds" thread where more than one person admitted freely to watching free birds and squirrels, enticed by nuts and seeds, that will never need walking or shipping to the vet.

thanks for all the input. I come from a family where there was no tolerance for livestock in the house. that being said, cats are naturally drawn to my wife and when friends bring their dogs they jump in her lap. I can see where pets can be a comfort. I may change my mind later but the days are full as all of you know and I suspect they will become more so.

Fish can be nice to look at for hours on end .... :shock:

I’ll second Tillie ‘s comment about fish. Also, low maintenance, vet care, exercise, and fur-cleanup not required. And you can hire a service to clean and maintain the tank. Bird/squirrel feeders strategically placed outside the window also a great idea, per Wishmobbing. I also like the idea of the visiting therapy dog — love with minimal responsibility.

When I read your comment about growing up without “livestock” in the house, it struck me that you are not used to dogs or cats and may not view them as family, as many us do.

Nor do you have to. If you’re not a dog or cat person and don’t already have one, then it might be more than you want to take on as a busy CALS. Sounds like you acknowledge that.

Hi Karen

Actually our daughter had a dog that she brought to our house when her family visited. Jordan, the dog, was part of the family. I definetly had a fondness for her. She had to be put down last year. Cancer.

We live on a farm and have bird feeders. The squirrels eat the drippings. My wife enjoys the show. Occasionally turkeys will enter our back yard and the deer are plentiful. We once saw a bear. The most unique were two red foxes. Maybe a dog or cat would compliment our place, however.

hi
if you have a local animal shelter near your could you look at fostering? That way you could find out if it would be a good idea to have a pet without the long term commitment. If you really liked it you can always then decide to adopt.
Wendy

my daughter has a good friend who is involved with therapy dogs. I think that's the correct term. anyway the friend is planning a visit with one of her dogs. my daughter has hinted that I should get a house pet for my wife. my only comment: another responsibility I do not need. cleaning cat litter, yuk, trips to the vet - almost impossible. am I being too selfish?

Cat - is no responsibility at all, believe me. They don't need walking, playing, so much vet attention. They don't get ticks, fleas or other stuff if they are indoor. If they're out - a collar and a worm-pill every 6 months. They eat their food and sleep and you can squeeze them occasionally or pet them. Voila. :roll: :cool:

I highly recommend a dog. I have 4 cats and a Old English Bulldog named Harlee. Hands down my dog provides more companionship. Harlee weighs 65 lbs and I can no longer walk her cuz my balance is bad and she is unbelievably strong.

Get something more in the lap dog category. I would avoid sporting breed cuz they are more work and usually on the larger end of the spectrum.

My dog is my constant companion and sometimes overwhelming. I would be lost without her companionship. I sincerely hope I die before Harlee does.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1875 (2).jpg
    IMG_1875 (2).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 186
Mark, that is one cute pooch. I love bully breeds. My current dog is a boxer-shepherd mix and is learning to trot nicely along side my walker. When I get a pwc, I’m hoping she’ll do the same. The dog pictured in my avatar is in doggie heaven, chasing squirrels.

My advice for PALS/ CALS who don’t already have a pet is just to seriously consider the time commitment and make realistic decisions that are both in your best interest and in the best interest of the animal. My previous dog died last year. Though I would ordinarily love to have a second dog, it’s just not in the cards for me now since ALS diagnosis.

Mark, the personality of your doggo just shines through. Harlee looks like 65lbs of solid love and adoration. What a lovely friend. I know what you mean about the idea their absence would be intolerable- my hope is that you do not have any time in which she is not in your life. I still mourn my first dog even 6 years after he left us. I have another that is likely to leave us within the next couple years given her age and health history. It's hard to contemplate.

Also, 4 cats? I don't know if my self esteem could take the hit of 4 cats worth of scorn and offended glaring on a daily basis. We have one and he thinks he's a dog- but still has the skill to make us feel like we are very lucky to know him. I have to remind him daily he was born under a dumpster and is NOT kidnapped royalty, as he likes to believe.

Animals can be a fair amount of work. I am fortunate I have a husband and a large reluctant teenager who do the lion's share of the daily animal care (litter box, walks) and I just feed them. It means they love me best of course, because cupboard love is hard to beat. I have multiple aquariums as well, but they do require a whole bunch of maintenance to keep the fish and plants healthy. Which I find therapeutic but increasingly harder to manage as time goes by. A tank maintenance service is definitely an option, but it does take some $$.

My mother in law rescued a little companion dog (Nipper, shih tzu), but her husband was not into it. He's farm raised and just didn't see the point in an animal that didn't earn its keep through work. He contracted a terrible case of C. diff from the hospital that knocked him flat and the dog became devoted to him while he was still very ill. They are now inseparable and the dog will alert my mother-in-law if my father-in-law is in any medical distress.

It's a huge personal commitment, but very rewarding. A daily dog walk or two can provide some much needed respite for a CALS- enforced disengagement, exercise and a little alone time in which to breathe the air and see the outside world. But this would only be possible if a CALS is able to leave their PALS for a few minutes daily.

Here's my bunch. Welcoming committee and obstacle course all in one.

Attachments

• Daisy yawn.jpg
    Daisy yawn.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 212
I love seeing everyone's pets. Ace is 5 now. I bought him as a puppy and trained him to use the pee pad. Small dogs don't go that much and it sure beats taking him out 4-5 times a day.

Terriers are very independent. He is not really a lap dog but loves to play and entertain. He is an exceptional watch dog and I had him certified as a directional hearing dog so he's registered as a service dog. I can take him anywhere I go. He is so friendly and never met a person he didn't like....especially if they are packing treats.

Attachments

• Ace6mths1.jpg
    Ace6mths1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 182
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back