Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
Us
State
Virginia
City
Carrollton
Just heard on the news the effects of dogs sleeping with humans. Humans do not sleep as well but dogs sleep better. Wow! I wonder how this most important study was funded. Probably a government grant.

I like dogs and they are therapeutic but am I alone in thinking this study and many others like it might be a little frivolous? Can we think of a better way to spend resources. Perhaps researching treatments for ALS.

How are these studies initiated? What is going through the minds of theses grant grabbing, highly educated individuals who obviously think sleeping with dogs is a mighty important subject.

Thanks for listening.

Really makes one wonder, eh? I suspect that someone was just trying to get "published" rather than actually improve one's quality of life...

Jim

It looks like it was funded by Mayo Az small projects. The implication was the costs were for the sensors. Likely a grad type project so labor was free.

I can argue we ALL know how important sleep is and sleep science is important to health and well being. Evidence based recommendations regarding sleep are going to benefit a lot of people.

When a paper goes out everyone’s name goes on it from the group. It still could have been written and researched by a grad student.

I wonder if they tested with only one dog sleeping with the person as we all the best sleep is a three dog night ....... :lol:

Pile a cat on top of the three dogs and you've got my house. The cat is a bit much, but the dogs are very effective on a cold night and snore WAY less than my husband does.

I believe the value in research, even if it doesn't directly relate to anything that affects me or which does not show immediate value. Sometimes some research is of no direct benefit at the time, but proves valuable for providing a foundation for later research.

It's hard to see what looks like a waste of funds when there are so many other needs out there- especially for MND research. I have found myself resenting what I see as poor financial allocation and misplaced value, so I understand your frustration.

Thanks Nikki for the rational response and yet I agree with Jim that it makes one wonder.

Even though the most important person in my life is affected by ALS and all of you beautiful people are too in one way or another I still might argue there's more "important" research than ALS. But it sure ain't the sleep patterns of dogs. (Well maybe it was about the sleep of humans and if you should get a dog on prescription, even 3 in serious cases.)
Money is burned on worse things than a possible grad student learning the tricks of the trade.

Thanks for the good rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back