10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
I really want to plan a CALS trip.

I would like to get an idea of who could possibly go, where and when?!

I have been looking at the spas in Arizona and in Austin, TX. They are pretty pricey.

Another place I am thinking about is Big Cedar Lodge in Ridgedale Mo. It was one of mine and Cliff's favorite places.

They have a world class spa, nightly entertainment the best atmosphere.

I know Big Cedar is doing a special through February 28, but it has to be Monday thru Thursday. We could go anytime of course but this is when we could get the best bang for our buck.

Just found a place in Colorado called Peaks Resort & Spa, it looks awesome as well.

One more, this place looks reasonable and lots of options. It's called The Art of Living Retreat Center is in Boone, NC.

Last one, I promise! New Life Hiking Spa in Killington Vermont. This one looks very reasonable as well. Has some good specials some even include a massage.

Let me know what you all think.

Last edited:
Sooner, I so need and would love to do this. My problem is nursing. I have to plan well in advance and it has to be when both my DD and DS can be available to even think about it being doable.

Hugs,

Sue

Those of us non-CALS who have been following your stories applaud your efforts. We will also want to see photos of the CALS trip. :)

Killington, Killington, Killington. Great place. Beautiful Ton's of white stuff. Hit the slopes, hike, then dinner and hit the nightlife. Bars, single people. Good luck.

I would SO DO THIS, if I thought I could. There will be a time...

Jim

P.S. If Darcey knew something like this was in the works, she would bend heaven and earth to see that I'd go. I know, however, that I'd be concerned that she was being properly cared for... even as I know I could surround her with some pretty awesome folks (having done this once before when I went to see David Gilmour in NYC).

I am hoping that this year can be the first of many CALS trips...

Sue, when could it happen for you? Like in the summer?

Mike this does include Past CALS you know?!

Sooner, I think there are two things to think about the first year of your post-ALS life:
1. Cliff would want you to have the best life as soon as possible.
2. While ALS has taken him and made your life very difficult for awhile, there is no point in waiting one more minute to start your new life.

But I screwed up. I bought a comfortable chair in a secluded house in the forest and sat down for five years. Thought I was "being available" for my boys.
Instead, I should have "got over it" and hit the road running. Easier said than done, of course.

As soon as you and your family can handle it, go, go, go.
(I might even consider coming up there with you.)
You might even choose a few past CALS to contact--make it a party!

This is a trip just for present and past CALS. I really want to start a yearly trip that we can all get together.

I think all CALS share something that most will never understand. Both present and past CALS need a get away. We just need to figure out what will work best for the majority and DO it!!

I am still trying to figure out my what my new life should be. I’m taking baby steps but definitely moving forward.

Sooner, this year and the next 2 would be extremely difficult for me. DD’s PT school goes year round. She gets barely a break between semesters, and not sure how much between Spring and summer semester. She and I have not had the opportunity to get away together since she was a sophomore in HS. That was the summer Brian was trached so 8 years ago in June. I’ve been already wracking my brain as to how I might be able to get away with her for a few days, if there is time between her spring and summer semesters, even for just a couple of days. The cost to do that is going to be tough, as I’ll have to pay nurses for close to 16hours a day, and be sure my DS is available as well. However it is something she and I need desperately and something she deserves for all the time she has put in with her dad. She does it out of love and maybe deserve isn’t the right word, but something I want to give to her.

Plan your trip and once she is done with PT school, hopefully you will still be planning another that I can join in with.

I know, due to the caregivers overnight that our local ALSA puts on, that the time will be incredibly awesome. All the CALS that goes to this, all wish it could be more than one night. What we all share is something special in its own way. The time is such a blessing.

This year I’m going to work on getting more people trained to be able to be with Brian for a few hours. If I can find and train those people, then I will have a bit more freedom.

Mike - you’d better go in this trip and any future ones as well. I have to admit, the thing I’ve wanted to do when this is over, is get a tiny home in the woods for a while so I don’t have to be responsible for anyone’s or anything other than myself for a while. I’d venture to guess that was at least a small part of your reason for doing as you did.

Hugs,

Sue

Sooner, what a wonderful idea! I would so love to go, and I know Matt would tell me to. There's no way I can do it this year, but If this is anannual event I'm in for the first year I can get away.

I'm starting the process of getting skilled nursing (when I listed the tasks to the VA coordinator I shocked myself), but then begins the tough part--finding the right people. If I can get them on board and trained, I'm in for the next trip. I'd go as a past CALS when that time comes.

I've often thought of how great something like this would be, so thank you for stepping up to organize it.

Mike, get thee to the SPA with the group! We want pictures!!

PS. I have a large house on a lake. I'm afraid it will be more than I want to care for long term, but I love it. I can't decide whether I want to tell the world to stay away when the time comes and just let me bask in aloneness, or pack my suitcase, grab my dog, and hit the road. I guess I'll know when the time comes. I think my grandchildren will keep me from hibernating.

I'm jealous.

Becky

Sounds good Becky!

No hibernation for me. I feel like the isolation as a CALS was enough house time for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love being home for a day or two but after that, I need to go!!!

Oh Oh Oh....It looks like we may be getting skilled nursing hours from the VA. If this works out, depending on how many hours we get, I may be able to get away at some point!!!!! I'm soooooo excited!!

Becky that is awesome news. ESP if Matt decides to definitely trach and vent. That will be sooo important

Hugs,

Sue

We are in Arizona and get 8 hours a week which I break into two 4 hour sessions. I am suppose to get 4 weeks of respite care where he
would go to a skilled nursing center (he's trached and on vent) but I'm not sure I could do that.

... I am suppose to get 4 weeks of respite care ...but I'm not sure I could do that.

I definitely understand and I'm sure we all do. But you know, your PALS might feel guilty that his condition is keeping you from going. Think about it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back