Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Somewhere
State: Connecticut
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
priya28 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Somewhere
State: Connecticut
priya28 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Hello

Hi there. I am a new caregiver to a young man with PLS. Just here to educate myself and learn how best to help him. He says he doesn't want pity but my heart breaks for him. I don't pity him....I just have grown to care about him. As a caregiver is this normal? I know it's a job but I feel like we're bonding. I came home from helping him today and just wept my heart out. Am I too sensitive for this job?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello

Priya, as long as your natural empathy does not get in the way of your doing your best work, you're not "too sensitive." Stop by any time to post or read. Just to double-check, he has PLS and not ALS?

This is a new gig for you, so it's natural for you to take time to process the disease, and I would imagine you will stop weeping in the near future, recognizing that the best way to acknowledge the unfairness is to support the person who is living it, but also to live your own best life, without being overwhelmed by your job.

It sounds like this young man is lucky to have you, as the caregiver/patient bond can be very strong and positive; also, please encourage him to visit here on his own.

Best,
Laurie
Old 01-12-2018, 08:27 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Vincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to all
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Vincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to allVincent is a name known to all

I don't have outside help yet, but I have friends who do and the importance of having the right helpers paramount. The intimacy of the relationship is such that you really need to not only have the required skill set, you also have to click with the patient and family. You become family at some level. Just make sure to remember to maintain your professional distance/formality in your relationship. You may become very close over time, but in the end you are doing a job.
Vincent
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM #4 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Pittsburgh
State: PA
Diagnosed: 07/2007
Narrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member
City: Pittsburgh
State: PA
Diagnosed: 07/2007
Narrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud ofNarrowminded has much to be proud of

Priya, all of the caregivers that my husband Brian has had over the years are like part of our family. Some more than others, but that is normal. I love them all dearly for how they help us. Knowing you care that much warms my heart.

We have a friend who has PLS. The path is somewhat different for him, as he will not lose muscle, they just won’t work. Not that it makes it any easier for anyone, but the losses as far as I have been told will be much slower. He was DX just a few years after Brian, but only meds to use a WC at this time. Brian was DX in 07.

Best to you as you care for this young man,

Sue
Closed Thread

Tags
caregiver, heart, new caregiver, pls, sad, young