Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
NJ
City
X
DH (my PALS) is in a PWC. He can no longer stand and doesn't have much use of his arms/hands. One of his friends wants to take him to a concert in a few weeks. This would be his first outing without me. We usually use a Uribag when we're out and he has to go. He doesn't want his friend to have to assist him with the Uribag, so I suggested he try a condom catheter for the night. He has agreed to try (big step for him) but I don't know where to start. I have seen them online, but have no idea what to order. I've also read comments about them coming off unexpectedly. He would see this as a disaster.

Can someone help me get started? I'd like to give it a trial run before his night out.

Thanks!

He has to be upright enough for the drainge to happen. You use a wipe on the penis that makes it tacky. (Its name is escaping me) You roll on the condom cath just like a condom and apply gentle pressure for it to "stick" attach the cath to the bag. To get off use a warm wet washcloth at the edges to unseal it. Getting the sizing right is important. As the nurse told me...all men think they are a large...but they arent��

My PCP recently changed me to the Coveen Optima. Sticks/seals much better.

Jrzygrl, there are some companies out there that will send you a whole starter pack. I will try to send you a PM, because IDK if I'm allowed to refer you to the company on here, as it may seem like an endorsement. They will ask you quite a few questions (& for the doctor's name, insurance info., etc.) and then they will send you a package with several types of condom catheters of various sizes & also a little device (it's a paper cutout!) to measure the diameter of the penis. They also enclose a leg bag and the tubing you need to attach it. All of these are considered samples and there is no charge for the sample kit.

You can also purchase large, reusable, "odor resistant", leg bags on Amazon.

We have just recently gone thru this ourselves.

Jrzygrl - We didn't have the best of luck with condom caths and Brian was not moving at all. However, early on, when we would go out and even after the condom cath, knowing the issues, we would use an attends. They make pull-ups and used that in place of underwear. Since he had lost weight, it was not noticable at all under his pants/shorts. Nothing to fall off. The only thing you need to be sure of is that they are pointed to the center. If they are pointed to the side, it will leak. They do hold quite a bit and were more than enough for a say 3-4 hours or more depending. Just another thought to toss out there.

Hugs,

Sue

The trick, so I am told, is to get the correct fit, which can take some doing. The first couple that I purchased from a different company were complete failures. The ones we received last month from the company I mentioned had their own integral self-adhesive on the inside of the condom portion. Makes a big difference with adhesion, but also with loss of pubes (ouch! - sorry!! should have listened to the written suggestion/advice of performing some severe man-scaping of the area!). They also make ones that are called "pop on" condom catheters which are useful if the penis has retracted into pelvic fat. And, they make a super expensive one ($10 each!) that is shaped kinda like a flower with adhesive "petals" that surround the penis, which Medicare wil pay for if the patient has a retracted penis. I knew almost none of this a month ago ....

For everyday household use we have used the men's maximum absorption Depends with an extra Depends pad stuck inside of it. That way if my PALS can't hold it, or I am outside/away for a bit, he can just go. This combination holds a lot of urine, and in addition to these I use one of the washable, heavy duty bed pads underneath to protect the recliner chair. So far - so good.

Amazon also sells several varieties of mens washable incontinence boxers, but they do not hold as much as advertised. One brand is Kleinert's, and they are very high quality and advertised to hold up to 10oz - but they don't. Dave finds these comfortable though and with the use of a mens Depends pad inside as well, they are quite serviceable. Before we leave the house I have to take a final peek to make sure everything is aligned right down the center, as Sue mentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back