02/2017
Country
AUS
State
Western australia
City
Perth
Hi folks,

I have been spending spare moments the past few days, as few as there seem to be, reading some of the posts on these forums. Some are comforting, some are helpful, some are terrifying and fill me with dread for what is to come. Whatever emotions the posts inspire though, it seems like a wonderful and supportive community here, so I thought it might be time to say 'hello'.

My name is Tara. My husband, Neil, started having symptoms around the middle of last year, and was diagnosed with ALS in February of this year. At that time he was walking with a cane, still taking care of himself, going up and down the stairs, and driving. He is now in a power wheelchair all the time. His speech has slowed and is unclear. He can swallow and eat, but I often have to help him. How can this all have happened so quickly?

It seems that every day there is something new he cannot do for himself. Extra things for me to do when I am already struggling to do everything, but I guess you all know how that is. So busy, so tired, so frustrated and sad. I want to feel a bit sorry for myself but every time I do I feel guilty because for all of my pain I know his is worse. And even though I do so much for him now, I still feel helpless because I can't do anything to make anything better. I make a lot of ice cream because he loves it. It used to be an occasional treat and now we have it pretty much every day, and sometimes twice. Today I made chocolate with brownie chunks, and a ricotta ice cream with cardamom and blueberries, and he loved them both. It's such a silly little thing, but ice cream seems to bring happy moments and every happy moment counts for so much now.

I agree, and I have ice cream pretty well every night.
Al

Tara - welcome, however I'm sorry it has to be here. You will love it here. The support is unbelievable, it's heaven on earth for us CALS. Don't be afraid to ask anything no matter how small or how silly you may think it sounds. We've been there, we get it and someone will usually have an answer, or more than on someones. Things can seem terrifying at first, but then you get used to the new kinks and move forward. Try to stay in the present and not think too far a head. Only go there if you think you'll be needing a peice of equipment so you have it when needed, but concentrate on the here and now.

Great job with the ice cream. We are all about making our PALS life as joyful as possible and giving them control over their own decision. If Neil wants ice cream for every meal, I wouldn't usually recommend it, but for him, let him have it.

Hugs,

Sue

Welcome Tara!
We have a few aussie members here, I'm in on the far north coast of NSW.

I love the vision I get of you making ice cream and Neil smiling - make all the memories you can, they are more valuable than anything medicine can give us.

I love me some Moose Tracks ice cream. I also like cakes ,cookies and several other things that are bad for me.

I figure .......What the hell, I am dying anyway might as well be fat!!!! Glad I am not ugly cuz I could not change that.

So sorry to hear about your husband's dx Tara. Welcome to the club that no one wants to be part of but if we must, it is a great place to be. I think it's awesome that you have something you can make for your husband that makes him happy.

Tara,

It is so great that you can give Neil such a variety of flavors. Best I can manage for Eileen is vanilla with some chocolate syrup. But then ice cream and mashed potatoes are about the only items she can swallow anyway. All we can do is help them enjoy what is possible and not fret over anything else.

Larry

Welcome Tara. I'm sorry for the reason you had to find us, but we will help you with whatever we can. Ice cream - yeah - comfort food, brings happiness. Whatever works. About a year ago our PC doc said something to my PALS (husband Dave) about diet, and I interjected "he can have whatever he wants". Sh*t, don't talk about diet when someone has ALS!! Anyway Tara, your ice cream creations sound wonderful & I hope Neil gets to enjoy them for a long time. Good luck and welcome to our group.

Actually Buckhorn I disagree - talk about diet by saying eat HEAPS of calories however you can get them :lol: yeah I don't really disagree, just saying it another way.

Welcome to the club, Tara! I'm sorry about your hubby's dx.

I loved reading about your ice cream creations. I say that whatever makes your PALS happy, go for It.

My PALS had a third of a box of cocoa krispies after dinner last night. Its something we never would have had in our home prior to dx, but now, there's very little restraint for eating foods he loves.

Life is too short so eat ice cream! And cake, and cookies, and cocoa krispies, and, and, and.....

Hi Sue,
Thanks for your warm welcome and kind words. ALS is like nothing else. For all the people we have in our lives that mean well and want to help, I feel like no one really gets it. How could they? I think there will be some comfort for me in having contact with people who are living through something similar. I know it will be good to have a place to go to ask questions. I appreciate having access to such a great resource as all of you folks, and I hope I can contribute helpfully for others as well.

Hi Tillie! Thanks so much!

Welcome Tara. I'm sorry for the reason you had to find us, but we will help you with whatever we can. Ice cream - yeah - comfort food, brings happiness. Whatever works. About a year ago our PC doc said something to my PALS (husband Dave) about diet, and I interjected "he can have whatever he wants". Sh*t, don't talk about diet when someone has ALS!! Anyway Tara, your ice cream creations sound wonderful & I hope Neil gets to enjoy them for a long time. Good luck and welcome to our group.
Buckhorn, I totally agree. As long he can still enjoy it, I will keep making him ice cream, baking bread and buying red wine. Why not? :)

Welcome to the club, Tara! I'm sorry about your hubby's dx.

I loved reading about your ice cream creations. I say that whatever makes your PALS happy, go for It.

My PALS had a third of a box of cocoa krispies after dinner last night. Its something we never would have had in our home prior to dx, but now, there's very little restraint for eating foods he loves.

Life is too short so eat ice cream! And cake, and cookies, and cocoa krispies, and, and, and.....
Thank you. I've been coerced recently into buying things I never would have too! At least I was until I started to make ice cream every week. Now I get less requests for biscuits and the like. It's a bit more work but I like making it and I do have fun with the flavours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back