Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
IL
City
Oulu
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm not even a true CALS yet, my dad was just diagnosed and he is still in good shape, considering.... He lost speech completely, but the weakness in his hand and legs does not prevent him from walking and eating by himself. He can't write anymore though...

So here I am, 3 am in the morning, my 9 months old baby asleep, my husband is asleep and I'm crying and reading everything on here.... tomorrow I will be tired and won't be able to be a good mother and wife and daughter.

We live all together, me and my husband, his two sons from first marriage, our new baby girl and my parents... a really mixed family... especially given that my parents speak little English but my husband and step sons are American.

And then the diagnosis hit. And my dad is declining fast. And the future for my family I imagined is taken away from me.

I have a feeling that ALS will bring us closer together, but I just hope I can stay strong through what's coming. I'm terrified.

Also, the last two weeks I barely showed up at work. It is a flexible job, but still, how long can I continue on like this without losing it.

Sorry for the ramble, I know I jumped in on a thread I don't belong.

WD, moved your post to Current CALS as that is more applicable. You can start a new thread here any time, or chime in on what's here. But as to being "a true CALS," no doubt, from day one, you are just that. You will move past terror, you will find a way to keep earning as long as possible [showing up occasionally is prob a good idea:)], and no one is equally strong every day.

Best,
Laurie

Worried - Welcome, although I hate to have to welcome you here. You are not alone and those here totally get everything you are feeling now and will in the future. Ask anything, there is usually someone who can help. This place is like heaven on earth for CALs.

Hugs,

sue

So sorry to hear about your dad's dx. You have found a great place for information and support. We are here for you.

Sorry to welcome you - it is a huge shock, but you will find the awful raw panic will settle as you all work out how to work through this as a family.

You will ALWAYS be a good mother, a good wife and a good daughter no matter how tired or afraid you are. You are facing a very difficult situation head on. And when you feel you dont have the strength, just reach out. You have an awesome support group in this forum. We are here for you!

you are a Cals, and it will be hard as you can see from all the posts you have read. but you will have true and real support here--everyone will love and accept you immediately because we are all warriors together facing the ALS monster!!

reach out, ask questions, try not to worry to much. love your baby. hang in there!

Welcome to your new extended family. As you’ve been told already, you are a true CALS, and what you are experiencing as you write this first post is proof of that.

The wealth of information and support here is invaluable. The addition of your voice will only make it more so.

In some ways, the fact that you all live together already may be a good thing. Many people have to figure out whether to move their PALS in with them—you are a step ahead.

Advice, for what it’s worth—Plan ahead, but enjoy the time you have with your father now. LIVE with this disease. It’s harder on you because you have to reasearch and live in the future as well as the present, but you can do it. Involve all of the children so this experience binds your family together. Most of all, come here often.

Thank you ask for the support and warm welcome. This does feel like heaven for PALS and CALS.

Let's continue being strong! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back