Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
In January, Eileen began showing the first signs of what would be diagnosed as ALS. And we lost a pet of 14 yrs, Katie.

March, while doing volunteer work, a scaffold failed and I broke my foot. Surgery was 120 miles away. Eileen did all the driving for followup and to all her DR appointments.

Late May, the ALS diagnosis.

June, July and August has been totally hectic with learning all the equipment, PEG, handicapped mods to the house. I just started foot therapy since my foot has not adequately healed and all the driving and house work is on me.

The one break, walking my dog, Lizzy as much as my foot could handle and watching her roam the yard. Yesterday, she was diagnosed with Lymphoma, so I will loose her sometime soon and that is going to be very tough.

My heart goes out to you. It sucks when bad things all happen at once.
This June, we had to put down our 15 y.o. dog Sonnet at the same time I was manifesting signs of what I would come to find out was ALS. Sonnet was having difficulty walking, and so was I. I saw her declining at the same time I was declining. So hard not to draw parallels. I kept asking myself, if we can put her down; am I next?
It's never easy to lose a beloved pet, especially when it occurs at the same time you or your spouse is also struggling.
Hang in there and know that some things will get better.

So sorry to hear about your respective tough several months. Larry, I hope your foot heals soon and that you get some more quality time with Lizzy. Karen, I hope you have or are considering another companion. We lost two cats in succession my husband's last year.

It is impossible not to draw parallels, but maybe some of them are on point. Not only do we not want unnecessary suffering or burden for any being, but we draw on the joys we shared as strength for continuing to seek out more experiences that bring us joy. We cannot go back, but we can look back in peace rather than in pain. We cannot skip past what hurts us, but we can learn that it cannot destroy us unless we let it.

Best,
Laurie

Larry so sorry for your rough year. Losing our fur babies is tough no matter how you slice it, but yes even harder when there are other issues. We lost our beloved German Shepherd 4 years ago, not long after moving to our current home that was much more handicap accessible. We have a new doggie (now 4), who spend an entire week in the doggie ICU with Parvo, right after I picked him up 4 years ago and a month after losing the shepherd, so I understand your pain. Hoping you can let that foot heal and get good treatment for it.

Karen - I feel the same about your loss of Sonnet as well. However, no one wants to "put you down". But as a CALS it does pain us to see you suffer, at least as we perceive it.

Hugs,

Sue

I had to let Lizzy go yesterday, she didn't want to walk or to eat. But she did spend some time roaming the yard. I didn't think I could handle being caregiver to both Eileen and my pet. Woke up at 2:30 a.m., not sure how I will handle this morning, it was always the best part of the day. Haven't eaten since yesterday morning and don't feel like doing anything. But soon, Eileen will awake and that will keep me busy. I don't know how you all provide months and years of care and find moments of joy. Hopefully I'll feel better in a day or so.

Larry, I am sorry for the loss of your dog and for the tough times you have been experiencing. I lost both of my parents and my dog of 16 years last year and I wondered if I would recover from that. The truth is, we are much more resilient than we think we are. I knew that I had to care for my PALS, Frank, and I could not succumb to the depression which made me want to nothing more than sleep. It takes time, but you will feel better.

Sharon

Hi Larry,
I'm sorry to hear about Lizzie. You sound like a very caring person, and I know your pets were loved and appreciated as is Eileen. My thoughts are with you. Wishing you peace and healing.

Larry I am so very sorry about Lizzy. You are a wonderful man, and Eileen will benefit from every bit of that love. It's never easy, but you got this, you are stronger than you think you are. I've learned that as well over the years. Hugs to you as you get through this tough time. Know that you are not alone, we are all here for you.

Hugs,

sue

So sorry about that extra loss. I lost my dog a couple of months after I lost Chris and that really undid me!

Larry, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dog.

Like so many here, I can relate. I have lost many pets throughout my life, but the one we lost after diagnosis was just different. It still hurts, but we have a new furry member of the family now that helps make life wonderful.

You have my deepest condolences.

Steve

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful thoughts and prayers. I'm forcing myself to move past this. Tomorrow we leave for a 3 week volunteer project 90 miles from home. There will be 5 or 6 couples staying in their RV's and while the guys work, Eileen should be able to sew for a few hours and spend time with the other women. With a 12 ft 'garage', the trailer is loaded with Eileen's PWC, walker, Trilogy, other machines, food, medical supplies and sewing supplies. Hopefully we will be able to stay the full 3 weeks and have a good time with friends.

I hope you both have a wonderful time. Friends are great to take your mind off ALS.

Fun vacation wishes coming your way!

Hugs,

Sue

We are back from our 3 week volunteer project. The trailer with it's 12 ft 'garage' worked fine and with the better steps and handrail that I added, Eileen was able to get in and out. But, I always required some one assist her to prevent a fall. The PWC was not effective, the roads and trails were too rough, even a rolling walker didn't work. But with the passenger seat lift in the truck, one of the other ladies was able to drive Eileen from the trailer to the sewing room so she could sew each morning.

Biggest surprise was a visit from our daughter and grand-daughter. They spent the weekend with us, so the extra sleeping space came in handy and we were able to watch the grand-daughter have lots of fun on a zip line and other activities.

We will be home for a week and Eileen's feeding tube is scheduled to be replaced with a button. Then we will be out for another 3 week project, probably the last for this year as I still need to build handicapped ramps at the house.

Glad to hear you guys had a chance to get out and about, and a family visit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back