Old 07-16-2017, 01:38 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Rock Falls
State: IL
Diagnosed: 10/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
jenalsdaughter is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Rock Falls
State: IL
jenalsdaughter is on a distinguished road
Default In need of moral support

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have been reading a lot of the threads and it seems like all of us CALS are dealing with pretty much the same things. I am the main caretaker for my mother, Audrey. My brother and I moved in with her after my father passed away a little over a year ago. Up until about a couple of months ago she was able to walk very short distances with a walker and someone walking with her. Now she is totally bedbound unless I put her into her chair. She can still somewhat feed herself with her left hand, but that ability is fading. My brother and I were both suppose to be caretakers for my mother, but I've noticed that it is actually only me. He thinks that because he is in the house in case of emergency and since he fills her water bottle and gives her lunch that he is doing his fair share. I make my mother breakfast and supper. I bath her, clean her up when she has accidents, empty her catheter bag, put her on toilet for her BM's, and any other things that need to be done around the house. My mother will not say anything to him about this. It is very frustrating, but at the same time I love my mother so much and I know that if I were in her situation that she would do the same for me as much as she could. Oh, and I also forgot to mention that I work full time days as a CNA because I can't afford not to work and I am raising my 10 year old daughter. I am just venting here because I need an ear or two to bend. It feels much better to just talk (or type) about this.
jenalsdaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:43 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Cleveland
State: Oklahoma
soonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of light
City: Cleveland
State: Oklahoma
soonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of lightsoonerwife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: In need of moral support

So sorry to hear about your mom. My husband was diagnosed that same month.

Maybe you can talk to you brother and see if maybe he can do a few more things? In my family, my sister and I are more the caretakers of my mom and my brother does what we ask him to do.

This disease stinks and we are all spread really thin. I think trying to work through these things before we let it REALLY get to us may help?!

We are here for you for support, answer questions or to vent anytime you need to. HUGS!
soonerwife is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
ability, brother, cals, caretakers, catheter, chair, father, love, reading, support, venting, walker, work