Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
For those of you who have followed my husband's adventures with his PWC, we have a new one. Yesterday he was driving up the apron to the garage and the entire wheel fell off his C-300. Yep, just fell off. Fortunately he was headed uphill and someone was with him, because the chair went into a spin immediately.

The good news is that we did not have to pick him up off the ground this time. We got it into the garage and used the hover. The bad news is that the "backup" older model C300 he got off Craigslist and had fixed up will no longer work for him. It is too large and he just slides around in the seat. He does not have enough core strength to compensate for the size difference. So...he's in the V6.

CHally, I don't know how you navigate that beautiful beast in the house. Argh. Well, it's a good thing we got it fixed up with lateral supports and a Royo, because the vendor can't get here until next Friday to pick up the Permobile, and Matt's not getting back into it until its throughly checked out....yet again.

As if that wasn't enough, and this falls into the category of "You just gotta laugh", we had a rush to the toliet and lost. Using the ceiling lift is great, but when I con't get the bucket fast enough and he drops you know what on the bathroom floor, it's got to be cleaned up before lowering him onto the toliet to finish, otherwise his feet would have landed in piles of crap. Just as I was saying "don't poop on my head..."--yep, you guess it, he pooped on my head. Thank heavens it was solid turds.

He is now allowed to call me shithead, in private, and only in the most loving of tones.

I'm really ready for a bit of boredom....

Becky

I guess I should have warned you not to take a big gulp of coffee before reading the second part...

Oh, if anyone wants an older model C300 and can get it from the VA/NC border, let me know. Heck, I might even drive a ways to get rid of it. It was a mess--we put a new battery, new hand control, and new tires on it a couple of years ago. It's got a large seat pan. It does tilt and lean back, and has power legs, but no elevator. Free to a Pals in need. I'll post it in the for sale section also when I get another minute, but if you know someone, please speak up.

Ya Becky, you have had a busy week. Perhaps a nice warm bubble bath and a shower.
Al

Oh Al, I started with a shower and that's for sure!!!

Well I went to open this thread (it's just 6am) and thought, no I'll make my second cup of tea first .... sooooo glad I got a little way in and was smart enough not to pick that cup of hot tea up while reading!

I'm feeling that boring isn't really so bad, that's way more adventure than required in any one day!!! :shock: :lol:

Becky,

I am so sorry to read about your trials. I am very glad that Matt was not injured when the wheel came off and that it was at home vs. being out on the road somewhere.

I guess this is a reminder that we need to check the bolts holding our wheels on! When some work was being done on my primary wheelchair a couple of months ago it was discovered that the main bolt holding the wheels on had backed off by 3 or 4 turns. This was the case for both of the main drive wheels!

There are 10 or 11 bolts for each side that could back off and cause problems We have inspected them all! There are torque specs for all of them in the Permobil service manual and some of them use thread locking compound (such as Loctite blue).

I have a small torque wrench from my days of maintaining my bicycles so we were able to inspect the torque on all those bolts. We found that virtually none of them were torqued to spec.

I now assume that NuMotion does not use a torque wrench when tightening these bolts. I am sure they do not use the proper thread locking compound. So, we make sure those bolts are torqued to spec ourselves.

When I bought my backup wheelchair it did not fit me at all. It did not take much effort to get the wheelchair fitted to me and did not cost much to do so. The result is a very comfortable, supportive wheelchair that I can effectively use. Let me know if you want details on what we did.

Steve

Becky,

You are an angel and Matt is so blessed to have you. I'm glad Matt wasn't hurt.

Becky...you go girl! I love that you could find a laugh out of getting crapped on. Your story did two things. Made me realize that you are awesome and gave me a good morning laugh (yes, I was drinking my tea).

Becky, never a dull moment at your place. Matt and that wheelchair.... I will definitely be checking Brian's c300 for any loose wheels. I'm so glad you can now laugh about the poop. What a day. yes, was drinking my coffee as I read.

You are a true inspiration.

Hugs,

Sue

Oh Becky, I'm still laughing. You are a VERY special CALS to still be laughing through it all! Hope you have a few days of peace before more stand up comedy material comes your way. You've become the Erma Bombeck of ALS! (Are you even old enough to remember her?)

Becky you have some interesting adventures. I hope that soon they become mind numbing they are so boring��

Admiration... Becky...admiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back