Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Austin
State: Tx
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Larrytbm is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Austin
State: Tx
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Larrytbm is on a distinguished road
Default Hectic 5 weeks, hope it slows down

With my wife's diagnosis 5 weeks ago, we have been going non stop and really hoping we don't have to keep up this pace. I'm still dealing with a broken foot so everything takes longer than I would like. First decision was to trade our fifth wheel trailer for a toy hauler version. Had to unload everything and store in our dining room. Got the new trailer less than 3 weeks ago but only partially loaded so far. A relative works for a big RV dealership and got us a good deal.

First priority at home is to re-model the bathroom and with just a single full bath that means using the RV shower during the remodel. In 2 weeks, linen closet moved, toilet, sink and shower stall removed. Concrete floor jackhammered, drain recessed and new concrete poured (now has to cure for 28 days). Electrical wiring and lighting changed. New shower faucet with ADA grab bar waiting on plumber to install next week. Then add blocking for grab bars followed by backer board and tile for the walls. Epoxy flooring already ordered. I have a wall mount beauty parlor sink for the new sink so I can wash my wife's hair, waiting to be installed. I also purchased a hinged ADA grab bar for the toilet (learned about these doing volunteer construction in England years ago). My goal is to at least have the shower and toilet operational within 4 weeks. The new sink is not as critical.

At the first Dr. visit, he wanted my wife to wear leg braces and a niece works for Hangers, so she directed us to the best store and tech in the Austin area.

We went to the 1st clinic on June 9th and from that, my wife now has a Trilogy, cough assist and suction machines. Dr. also recommends getting a PEG asap. Not a question about 'if' but more about 'when'. I'd like to get the bathroom finished first so I have more time free for cooking, cleaning, and monitoring her recovery. But we also want to take an RV trip in early August.

We also made the decision to get an EZ Lite PWC immediately, that August trip will be to higher altitudes.
Larrytbm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:38 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hectic 5 weeks, hope it slows down

Wow. My head is spinning. You are amazing.

Do try for the feeding tube ASAP. The recovery is easier the sooner it is done. The more compromised the breathing the harder the procedure. My sister waited far too long and what should have been a simple procedure almost killed her. My clinic ( Mass General) recommend a RIG ( done in radiology) over a PEG unless other medical issues dictate otherwise. There is a lot of discussion here on the subject
Nikki J is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
clinic, cough assist, cure, diagnosis, early, foot, free, hope, immediately, peg, pwc, shower, suction, trip, wanted