Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
MN
City
Fairmont
Steve's OT said we should get him a new cellphone that would work hands free, and that he could wear in a lanyard of sorts around his neck. This would be better for him than a Life Alert, plus he wants to be able to make phone calls. He had an old flip phone and he just couldn't manage it anymore as his hands and arms don't work. We explained his dilemma to the sales person, who demonstrated & sold us a Samsung S7. BUT, he still has to try to push a button to get to the screen display to talk to Google to call out or receive calls. Any ideas?
Kathy

For those who have them already, check out iPhones and iPads where the "Hey Siri" mode is enabled by voice for the day while the device is plugged in (which may not be necessary any longer; I'm not up to date on the new iOS). As long as the home or lock buttons are not pressed after the first activation, it will continue to "wake up" on saying "Hey Siri" again.

The Android peeps will probably say there is some similar workaround for your Samsung, hopefully.

Note you can make voice calls in the regular way using Hangouts in an iPad on Wifi, if the bigger screen is easier. Not sure about Android tablets.

Hey Siri works now without being plugged into the power :D

True but if your battery is lowish she won't work until plugged in ( just happened to me at 39 percent)

Nikki I just had to test ... I was going to plug my iPhone in to charge overnight but thought, nah I want the battery to get lower so I can test it.

So with battery of 8% I said "hey Siri" and he said "What can I do for you Katrina?".

I said, sorry it was a mistake and of course he said it was no problem and I plugged the phone in to charge.

So something else must have stopped Siri answering you?

Replicated 3 times before original posting. Just tried again at 25 twice and it still happens ios updated. Ipad air 2. maybe it only works with phone. My phone is too old to update ios to try

Ah you could be right Nikki - all apples are not created equal!

I have iPhone 7 so it's probably an improved Siri :shock: :lol:

Still good to know for anyone getting new technology.

If you have anything before iphone 6s, it will only work if plugged into power. In Nikki's case, iPad 2 is probably too old. I found out because I tried it with my new to me 6 that I bought from my daughter BF when he upgraded to 7. It wasn't working. I googled it and found the answer.

I'm not sure if the Androids with Hey Google work the same or not, never had one.

Hugs,

Sue

Nikki has and iPad AIR 2, so she has hey Siri, but it seems to stop once it reaches a certain battery level and then wants plugging in.

I remember when you needed to always be plugged in for it to work. Love my apples :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back