Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
CA
City
Stevinson
My husband wants to take our teens and I on a big trip this summer. He's wanting to travel out of the country. I don't even know where to start with this. This will be our last big adventure. He is wheelchair bound, ventilator dependent, feeding tube, no speech. He's put out Australia, Egypt, and Costa Rica, and Norway as places to choose from. I'm thinking Australia would offer the most diversity of things to see and do as my teen son and teen daughter have different interest. So I'm looking for suggestions on how to even start this. I know we need passports. How do we fly him there? Do we use a travel agent? Do we find a private tour guide type of person? So mamy questions. Any advice welcomed!!

I travel a lot with teens, but not with a PALS. That said, I'll try to give some suggestions.

1. Travel agents are a little expensive, but, however, they can provide all the tickets and reservations you'll need, so it's easy for you.
2. Local tour guides are helpful. They meet you and make sure you get to see the sights and they'll take care of your every need. Of course, they cost.
3. Australia is a long way to go, sitting. You might consider staying a night in Hawaii or Guam to make the trip a bit more comfortable.

Good luck. Wishing you an outstanding trip.

Work only with a travel agent who focuses on disabled travelers. There are several. Google wheelchair travel and you will see them. They can help you decide between destinations based on your husband's needs and the interests of your kids.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back