Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
CA
City
California
I feel like my Pals has lost his mind this week. His behavior is aggressive impatient paranoid and totally lacking empathy. I've seen this pattern before and then it goes away- it's probably been 6 months since the last "episode". Can it wax and wane like that in the earlier stages?
He also won't talk about what we need for future plans, won't get the walker or cough assist that were prescribed two months ago.
Something set him off tonight and I'm concerned how it's going to continue because his anger is off the charts and when I try to intervene it gets directed at me.

Diagnosed - I don't have an answer for you but please feel my hugs across the miles. There is nothing easy about this disease.

Hugs,

Sue

It is possible, but it is also possibly related to infection, pain, sleep or breathing. I would explore these if you can.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Diagnosed,

It can also be fear, depression, anxiety and frustration. My PALS won't talk about future plans. Equipment and meds take weeks or months to be incorporated into the new routine. After our clinic visits, it was just a freefall for days. Every suggestion was me being controlling or taking away his choices.

He takes meds for anxiety but can't tolerate any of the different antidepressants we've tried.

Has he spoken to you about how he feels about any of this?

I've learned to take the lead from him, talk when he asks about something, explain equipment benefits when he's curious. I always get the equipment and medications recommended, then it's up to him to use it or not.

The emotional toll of living with this disease is overwhelming for everyone. Unfortunately as CALS we can end up being the target of that anger and frustration from time to time.

Mention your concerns to his clinic doctors, GP or your ALS rep. All good starting points to see where the issue may be and how best to try and ease it.

Good luck,

Paul

FTD itself doesn't come in episodes, but triggers cause outburst type episodes.

Having said that, it may be more to do with frustration, fear, depression or even breathing issues etc as Laurie and Paul have suggested so far.

It does need attention, if it is breathing he may need more bipap or adjustments or something. I'm so sorry I forget where his breathing is up to and what he is on already.

If he has a lot of fear, would he talk to anyone else about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back