Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Round Hill
I think we are nearing the end. We have called in hospice and they gave the what they call the standard 'days to weeks'. I guess there's no way of knowing, but the change in the last 24 hours has been dramatic. He has been sleeping most of the time and is difficult to rouse. He's still on the bi-pap 24/7 and will ask for the bi-pap if he's off it briefly and awake. When awake, he asks the day and where different people are, but then drifts off again.

My concern is his mouth. His lower lip is extremely swollen and lots of dry skin. He seemed to have a contact dermatitis rash from the mask that the doc thought was causing the swelling. Cream cleared up the rash but not the swelling. He also has what appears to be an ulcer or tender spot on the tip of his tongue. I will ask the nurse when she comes today, but thought I'd see if any of you have suggestions.

He is on morphine, ativan and robinul.

Thanks.
Tracy

It's so very hard. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you & hoping the end is peaceful.

Many hugs,
Joan

I am so sorry. They may be able to prescribe something topical for the sore if it is bothering him.

Wishing you strength and virtually holding your hand

I am very sorry, Tracy.

On the swelling, maybe Benadryl cream and/or a bit of ice applied on and off. I would try some saline spray and/or aloe vera gel (on your finger) for the ulcer, just enough to be dabbed/absorbed, since that too may go back to dryness. Other ideas for either are a moist camomile tea bag and/or a dab of coconut oil.

We are walking beside you in spirit...

I'm so sorry Tracy - I hope you can find a place of calm and peace as you give him good palliative care as a team. I can't add to the tips on the swelling and ulcer.

There are no real words, just hugs and holding on to your hand.

I am so very sorry Tracy. Virtual hugs, thoughts and holding your hand.

I will keep you in my prayers. I hope the journey is peaceful for you both.

Tracy, you and your PALS are in my thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time. Sending you a virtual hug.

Sharon

Tracey, My thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband, and your family.
Hugs, Judy

Tracy, My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

Tracy - I am sending prayers for both of you at this time. Praying everything is peaceful for you both.

Hugs,

Sue

Sending you thoughts of love and light to surround you.
Hoping for peace.
Jennifer

*Oragel might help his tongue if it's still painful. just a dab on a q tip. But the Morphine is probably doing the job on the pain.

Tracy, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Wishing you peace.

Susan

Tracy, we are all here for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your PALS.

Tracy, I'm thinking of you guys and are with you in prayer. May you find peace and continued strength during this dificult part of this journey.
-Erika

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back