Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
ct
City
stratford
My husband is always hungry. He's completely tube fed now. Last few times he tired to eat it didn't go too well. He has about 5 cans per day but he's constantly hungry. I make him smoothies and I've made him scrambled eggs and then put them in the blender. Any suggestions for what I can do for him so he's not so hungry all the time?

Thanks in advance,
Amy

With a heavy-duty blender, almost anything you're having can go into the tube (thinned with liquid). Search for recipes here and elsewhere on line. Commercial formulas have a lot of sugar so empty calories, insulin rebound and may well leave him hungry for "real food" such as he used to have.

Best,
Laurie

Pureed and thinned hearty soups (with meats, pastas, veggies, or cream-based chowders) seem to stay with my PALS. Even with broth, I usually add water, but he's used to drinking (pre-ALS) around a gallon a day, so I still aim for that to keep him well hydrated, too. Hydration is very important to keep everything flushed and moving, so to speak. He gets around 2500 calories/day in 5 feedings. He does get 1-3 cans of Jevity 1.5, depending on what's going on and if we're out during the day, but otherwise, it's food through the blender. He was eating something soft and easy once a day till very recently. But he's finally giving up eating by mouth--the most challenging loss, personally, that he's faced. He's not hungry with this schedule. I'm wondering if more "normal" food (what your PALS is used to eating) and more hydration might help satisfy his appetite. Hope you can find what works for you both.

Do you have dietitian? If not, you should ask the doctor to refer you to one. This is a medical issue.

My mom has a tube but still eats meals by mouth, so we haven't experienced this issue. But, I'm under the impression that fiber helps one to feel full. Maybe you could try Metamucil (or natural psyllium husk) through the tube? My mom does psyllium husk through the tube to help with constipation. Just make sure you flush the tube, because it turns into jell-o if you let it sit.

just a thought, i have experienced acid indigestion that feels a lot like hunger. Definitely talk to your dietitian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back