Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
Wolfeboro
I don't write here much but am one that feels like I wouldn't be able to mentally get through this horrible progression of ALS without the people here. Mike is 47. He's my little brother, single with 2 young kids. I happen to be single with 2 grown children and live nearby so I am his main caregiver. He has chosen to let things happen naturally. No meds. Rarely sees a doctor. No feeding tube. Nothing. He falls a lot, sleeps a lot and eats very little. Drinks some ensure. He weighs between 115-120. Watching this progression is literally the hardest thing I have ever witnessed in my life and let me tell you I have had a few unexpected bumps in my life. My brother has a very mean ex-wife of 5 years who even to this day takes him to court to squeeze money out of him. Last week she went to court and asked for his life insurance. That was January 3rd and since he has been in bed and hasn't eaten much at all. Almost killed him but definitely seemed to hasten the progression. Sooooo.....here I sit early on a Sunday morning with puffy eyes from crying due to sadness for my brother and anger at the ex. Mostly the sadness for Mike. He is a twitching bag of bones. God help him. Thanks for letting me vent.

jlynn - major HUGS. My heart goes out to you and your brother. Thank you for stepping up and helping him, it is no easy task. He is very blessed to have you.

Hugs,

sue

J Lynn,
You are the best sister any brother can have. Big hugs for you.
Susan

J Lynn, my heart goes out to you. It is so awful watching the ones we love the most being tortured by this disease knowing there is nothing we can do to stop it. I think the best thing we can do is give them all are love. Thinking of you, Kate

Your love and care for him will be making a huge difference in every day for your brother xxx

Thank you all so much. Your so kind. It's such a privilege to be able to vent here to people who know exactly how your feeling. It takes the burden off at least a bit. Bless you all.

So many hugs to you.

It's incredibly hard to watch your loved one go through this torture. It sounds like you are an amazing sister and he's so lucky to have you.

Joan

I know it's so very hard to watch the progression and deal with its cruelty... without having to deal with cruel family issues.
You are a wonderful sister and let me tell you THAT I know for sure how much this means to him. Steve's brother lives here full time to help take care of Steve. My husband is so very grateful and very so very blessed to have his brother with him.

Just worry about your brother. She is going to do... what she is going to do. Talk to him and see what his instructions were and are with his life insurance.

Did she get the insurance?

Somebody needs to show up at each court date and answer each written inquiry. He def needs a lawyer. An eldercare lawyer or estate lawyer would know how to do these things.

J, I can't add anything but echo how lucky Mike is to have you as his steadfast sister, and he knows it. Let us know if/when you need any guidance to help cushion his transition.

Best,
Laurie

Jlynn, your brother's situation is heartbreaking. Your presence with him and care for him will bless you both. It is SO hard to watch a loved one suffer. Please keep us posted on how you both are.

HI Mike, We just heard from the courts yesterday and she did NOT get his life insurance and it is now tucked safely away in a trust for his kids! She did come to court with itemized medical and extracurricular kid activities totaling $8000.00. I can argue that one later but he got the thing he wanted most. The life insurance. Yes, we are definitely get a good lawyer as we now know that she will not relent despite what he's going through. Your pretty awesome Mike. Having never met you I can tell that your Krissy was one lucky lady.

jlynn, It broke my heart to read what you and your brother are going through. I am so happy to hear that his ex-wife did not get the insurance.

Sharon

I'm so glad he won this round! People never cease to astound me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back