11/2015
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Lauderdale
Hi CALS,

Wish I knew about this a little earlier.

Moved down to S Florida to be with my Father who was diagnosed last Nov at 55 with ALS.. I moved down in July when my family told me to help my parents.

My Dad has progressed very rapidly. He went from July being able to walk and talk to now- Very slurred speech, no use of his left arm, and little use of his right arm.

When I first moved down I spent every day with him while I looked for a job. I found a 40 hr a week job which pays well in Nov. From Nov to now he has lost so much function. In pain all of the time and wakes up every hr in the night.

So basically I'm working 40 hours a week, sleeping 3-4 hours a night and stretching myself thin.

He has asked me to quit my job and take care of him full time. We would be fine financially and I could possibly take time off to sharpen my adobe skills. Mom is very unsupportive.

Stick between a rock and a hard place.

ALAW - Welcome. I'm so sorry you have to find yourself here. You are doing a wonderful job with your father. And I totally understand about trying to work on a lack of sleep.

I would definitely get in touch with his neuro and let him know exactly what is going on. He can help you by trying different things to find one that works. Could be a combination of pain meds and anxiety medication. The fact he is having trouble speaking could be a huge part. Have the help you talk to a speech therapist about a Tobii or Accent that he can use to speak through. Made a world of difference for my husband and helped him sleep as well.

Hugs,

Sue

Welcome ALAW! Sorry to hear about your dad's dx. You have found a great place for support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back