Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
CA
City
California
We have little kids and if you know kids, you know they are little germ factories. Colds go round weekly at preschool. What do I do to keep my husband safe from it? His Fvc has been 100% so breathing is still strong but he is having a real problem coughing (his cough is weak) and he's worried about catching something from the kids and not being able to cough.

The two main things are:

1. HAND WASHING. Nothing takes the place of this. Hand sanitisers are better than nothing, but no matter what they advertise, washing hands is still the best thing - before every contact!

2. MASKS. It's way best if the kids will wear them, but I doubt they will. So if your PALS can cope with a mask when the kids are around it will help.

Flu shots are a good idea, but colds are a totally different virus and sadly can lead to pneumonia in PALS.

If you suspect he is at all unwell get on top of it by lots of fluids, and do you have a cough assist? If not, maybe it is time to have one so that you can help him clear anything if he does begin to succumb to a beastly bug?

Do all that Tilliie said.

Definitely get the cough Assist now. I went through my first bad cold without it and it was miserable. It takes a bit of practice and getting used to, to use it correctly.

Everything Tillie says is 100 percent correct, especially the flu shot, flu can be deadly. For what it is worth I was put on a vitamin program by ALS Canada and I have not had a cold or even a sniffle for two and a half years. If interested I posted the program in an earlier post.
Al

I would add if the kids are not wearing masks you and other household members should- not just your PALS. Getting a cold may not be risky for you but if you get it the chances of giving it to him multiply.

My sister survived several colds during her ALS course but ultimately one killed her. Her breathing was very compromised by then though

Our kids are 3 and 4, there is no way I can get them to wear masks all the time. we have a clinic date in a few weeks I will ask about a cough assist then.

Yes, colds can be a threat to us (I am a PALS and also a physician). But, in my opinion, if we are so compromised by ALS that a cold can do us in, then we are at a pretty advanced state of disease progression and if we do not get a viral infection now, we probably will soon enough. I prefer to live life in the real world, hug the kids, enjoy human interactions, and the negative consequences, whatever they are, shall come as surely as the good.

Teppo I disagree. A cold can become a game changing event for a PALS who may have been reasonably early in progression. A PALS with a weak cough can develop pneumonia incredibly fast.

However, for yourself, if you would rather hugs the kids with colds and take the consequences I feel that is totally valid and your right to choose.

Colds can be game-changing but research establishing the efficacy of masks relative to rhinoviruses is lacking. We never used masks, and Larry never got colds from us, but we washed hands often and strategically, and did not cough, sniffle or sneeze near him. Children don't have that discretion, so that's a different ball game, but masks don't help anyone breathe or cough better, either.

I trust these kids have had flu vaccines, as well as everyone else he comes into contact with. Beyond that, I think it comes down to the life you want to lead in what is left, which is unknowable in the best of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back