Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
East Earl
Hi to all. I hope to learn much from this group. Eric diagnosed Oct 2015, unable to stand, walk, balance at all. Unable to use R arm at all. No speech, but grunts when trying hard to turn in bed-only able to turn from back toward right. Puréed foods and syrup consistent liquids. Ok enough history. Questions now. Tips on clothing. I use Hoyer from bed to transfer w/c to living room recliner..if he needs to poo I must remove shorts put Hoyer sling on move to bathing chair that also fits over toilet. Here's the zinger. How do I get britches back on him????? I would need to put him back to bed in order to move around to get them on. And whining here but the dang Hoyer isn't easy to get from bedroom to living room then back more than twice a day. Any "break-away clothing tips?

Welcome Audrey. I don't have advice on clothing as we are just starting to have issues with Steve being able to dress himself. I just wanted to welcome you. I know you will get lot of advice here.

Welcome, some people cut away the bum section on their pants and have a towel on their chair cushion, we are almost at that stage, BJ can still lift his bum up off the chair in a reclined position so I can pull up his jocks and pants but not for long as it's getting harder for him.
Luv Gem

Welcome, Pennsy, and sorry you find yourself here. You have several options, including shorts/long pants with back flaps, side snap pants and tearaway pants. Google adaptive clothing and price-shop. If you sew, that is another route to take. Many guys go "commando" at some point.

Best,
Laurie

Welcome. Sorry you have to find yourself here, but it's the best place ever. My DH gave up all pants years ago. He calls it "Pants optional". Just keeps a blanket over that area. He is now completely bed bound now.

How about a potty chair near the recliner then it's just up and over and back.

Hugs,

Sue

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. Eric is to get his own W/C in the next month or so. He currently has a loaner. We don't do much traveling outside the house but the commando although a really enticing thought wouldn't work with us yet.thank you for the website advice and the "flap" advice.

Welcome, Audrey. In addition to googling adaptive clothing, check out the website ALS From Both Sides. One of our members here, Diane, created it and it is where I learned to adapt Matt's pants. We buy sweat pants at Costco and I alter them based on her instructions.

Another alternative for tolieting is to just raise him off the seat and slip a bed pan (with pad under it) under him. You can also recline the chair fully so he is flat, slip a pad under him, and have him go while on his side. Clean him up, remove the pad (or replace it) and roll him back.

Becky

Hi Audrey. My first post here was because I was looking for suitable clothing. I googled paraplegic clothing. You will be amazed at what comes up. Firstly , I cut/ unpicked the crutch seams out of Jim's track pants and shorts. So ,not wearing jocks, you can just pull the crutch open and have easy access to do a wee using a urine bottle. So, no need to transfer for that. Next I sent away for pants that have a skirt like flap at the back. They are essential when you are wheelchair bound. So easy to pull on and up,and then do flaps up whilst still sitting. Once you buy one pair from adaptive clothing site,then you can use the pattern to adjust existing pants or sew your own. In the early stages we decided to use silk boxers in a size too big. They were great as they allowed movement in bed when turning etc and the pulled down easily.adaptive clothing sites also have tops or shirts that open down the back and do up with Velcro. So easy when arms get weaker. My advice,stay one step ahead if possible. Hope this helps you.

Hi Audrey, we buy flannel pajama pants ( we live in a colder climate plus Job is always cold). His daughter, who is an engineer and can sew, cuts out the bottom area, cuts the waist band and attaches Velcro to the band and pants. We buy pants with a fly and more recently she has sewn on a privacy flap in the front. It allows urinal privacy and we can move him directly onto the commode( by hoyer) as is. When necessary we move the commode to where he is for ease and speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back