Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Ok, so we use a condom cath on DH and that works pretty good, with an occasional pop off, but for the most part it works well. Every other day, we take it off for about 12 hours, as his penis tip gets sore if we don't.

As of late, and I cannot for the life of me figure this out, the urinal moves and he pees the bed. I check it every time I move the bed or reposition him in any way. He cannot move at all so he can't possibly move it out of position.

What's also strange, is that most of his nerves are super sensitive. I even have called him the "princesses and the pea". However, he can't seem to feel the end of his penis up against the edge of the urinal (where I usually find it when this happens).

I'm all ears for any suggestion to help with this. Changing bed pad and sometimes his shirt and several of the pillow cases a few times during that day is getting old and not helping my back either.

With him being 6'2" he's not the easiest to move around rolling over to change the pad, shirt etc.

Thanks all, I just know someone will have a good solution.

Hugs,

Sue

Do you pack the urinal in place with towels? It may help it stay in place better as it probably only takes a very small amount of movement for it to slip that little bit.

Don't let the tip of his penis get irritated by soaking in even a tiny amount of urine. Use plain water to keep it clean. Do not EVER let any soap--or anything--get inside the urethra. The pain is intense and can last many minutes or an hour.

The skin/flesh/nerves of the penis are kind of weird. It has learned to live packed into tight fitting clothing, so it ignores most sensations like being pushed up against a urinal. The dorsal aspect of the glans is supersensitive to pain and can be irritated very quickly by soap, or pretty much anything.

Tillie - I usually use the pillows to keep it snug, another aspect of weird. Will try adding some towels.

Mike - Thank you for the gentlemen's perspective. That does explain about him not being able to feel it up against the edge of the urinal. We keep it clean etc. However, the nature of the condum cath is that sometimes, some urine will remain there, hence taking it off and the urinal issue. He hates when the put an internal one in at the hospital, which I'm sure is uncomfortable as well. That would help solve the tip problem, but leads to it's own issues.

Hugs,

sue

Last edited:
Sue, A friend of ours suggested a sheet over the legs, suspending the urinal between them. We're not there, so I haven't tried it.
Becky

Becky - that sounds interesting. At first I wanted to just toss the idea since his legs are floppy and he has us bend them at the knee a lot so i'm not sure how it would go, but I'll have to really look at it and see what that looks like.

Hugs,

Sue

update: DH started with a low grade temp last night and a bit higher this morning. His lungs are clear, so I picked up an AZO home UTI test. Yup, positive. Just sent an email to the Dr to see if he can help me out. I'm sure that may be part of his sudden rash of accidents.

Thanks all,

Sue

UTI's are nasty, I hope you get a fast response, chase the doctor if not and get tx started. Poor man they really hit you xx

Tillie- he got back to me ASAP and I had a first dose in him within 3 hours of discovery. I've got the best Dr. for him and thankfully, I have a good amount of healthcare knowledge. By tomorrow he should be looking up.

Hugs,

Sue

Sue, u know all this stuff far better than me.

But to save your back, why is he wearing a shirt, or anything?

If the mystery continues maybe u can set up a camera like Ghost Busters - Pat

Sue I'm so glad that doctor is great, and yep getting the antibiotic in fast makes so much difference in fighting it fast. Please let us know how he is doing xx

DH is doing much better. Thank you.

He doesn't wear anything on his bottom half, but still prefers a shirt. However, its more the turning to clean his back that's the issue. Getting the shirt off really isn't a problem at all. He has zero movement and is 6'2. However we stretch him multiple times a day and he still has great range of motion.

Hugs,

Sue

So glad to hear he has responded fast - great job getting that tended to immediately!

Tillie with a vent, I will give a low grade temp 24hrs but if it starts to rise or lasts longer it's go time. Can't take any chances.

Hugs,

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back