Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
I think when someone is diagnosed with ALS that should be it, no more bad things should be allowed to happen to them. Sigh...if it only worked that way.

On Thursday I was driving mom home from the ALS Center. Trunk has the transporter chair in in and in the back seat is a new wheelchair, a beasy board, an elevated toilet seat and a transfer disc. We are minding our own business stopped at a red light, I turn my head to say something to mom and all of a sudden BAM, somebody rear ends us...I'm not talking a fender bender, this dude was going 40 mph and never hit the brakes, it became a four car accident with us being the first car hit, so we get thrown forward and all of the stuff in the back seat hits us in the back and then we get thrown backwards from hitting the car ahead of us. He hit us so hard that our glasses flew off of our faces, the front license plate was found 20 feet behind the car....I made mom go to the hospital because her chest hurt, I was worried about broken ribs but turns out she bruised her sternum pretty good which sucks because she can't take deep breaths without hurting.

I'm just wondering how a stressor like this will affect her ALS, is there anything that I should watch out for?

Moms car is totaled, he ripped the entire exhaust system off because he didn't just hit us, he went under us and dislodged when we hit the car ahead of us. I tried to attach a pic of the other guys car but it keeps telling me its not a valid image when I try to upload it.

Dam.....That sucks bigtime, I hope the dude has good ins because the claim is gunna be HUGE. I hope your mom is OK, with loss of core strength and balance we PALS get hurt worse in accidents and falls cuz we can't hold ourselves like a normal person does.

Hope things work out...life can be an unfair B!tch sometimes.................

Jenny, wow. I am so glad that you are unhurt, and so sorry about your mom. Mark is right, any insult to the body is harder on a PALS and can speed up progression.
Was the other driver drunk, or just not paying attention?

Becky

Oh Jenny
That's horrible, big hugs to you and your mum. Very gentle ones for her, I really hope her pain eases and she doesn't have too many ongoing problems from the accident.
Wendy x

Dam.....That sucks bigtime, I hope the dude has good ins because the claim is gunna be HUGE. I hope your mom is OK, with loss of core strength and balance we PALS get hurt worse in accidents and falls cuz we can't hold ourselves like a normal person does.

Hope things work out...life can be an unfair B!tch sometimes.................

Definitely, since I was looking at her when it happened I was able to She see what happened to her, she literally folded in half around the seat belt but thank God she had one on, I have no doubt she would be dead right now.

The claim will be huge being that there will be 3 cars plus his making a claim but it wasn't even his car!

Jenny, wow. I am so glad that you are unhurt, and so sorry about your mom. Mark is right, any insult to the body is harder on a PALS and can speed up progression.
Was the other driver drunk, or just not paying attention?

Becky

I am hurt just not seriously, I wouldn't let them take me to the hospital because I refused to leave my mom but once we were there and I knew she was okay for the most part I let them check me. Just tons of stiffness and muscle spasms from my waist into my neck...no biggie, just hope I am feeling better by the time I go down to see her later in the week, I spend two days to give respite to my Aunt and Uncle.

The crappy thing is that my car is out of commission because it needs tireds and brakes and I can't afford it now , so my husband usually drives me to my mom and goes home and I use moms car to take her places....now we don't have a car for that. Her car was 12 years old so it wasn't worth much, so unlikely to get another one.

The guy said he was drinking from his water bottle but Im guessing he was texting. A drink from a water bottle takes a second or two and we had been sitting at the light for about a minute so he would have been braking if he was only taking a drink

So sorry you and your Mom had to endure yet another crisis. I hope she heals soon and that your claim processes fast and well in your favor!

I am so sorry Jenny. I am glad that neither of you were seriously injured. I will definitely send good thoughts your way. I am so sorry that everything is so hard.

Praying for you both. I happy to hear that neither of you were seriously hurt

Gentle hugs,

Sue

So sorry Jenny! That really stinks! I hope you both feel better soon. HUGS for you both!

Jenny, sorry to hear about your accident. My PALS was hit from behind a few years ago by a person texting. He was hit so hard that his head whipped back and broke the headrest, and he had a concussion. I sometimes wonder if this didn't trigger his ALS. I hope you and your mom are OK.

V

Wow Jenny that's horrible! You are such a wonderful daughter, and have been hit with so much stress already. I'm so sorry.

Hugs,
Deb

I'm so sorry this happened to you both. I hope you and your mom are feeling ok as it can take several days before things start hurting. You certainly didn't deserve to have this added to your plate :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back