Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Round Hill
Today I feel weepy and crabby and short-tempered. The circumstances today are no different than they were on Tuesday, or yesterday or even last week for that matter when I was feeling compentent and capable, pragmatic and in control. I hate this multiple personality/Sybil feeling :-(

I hated it when people asked me this question but in hindsight they were right to. Are you on anti depressants? Do you have a counselor?

Do you take time for yourself to do something calming? Are you getting enough sleep?

Cody it's perfectly normal.

I think we carry the load but fatigue causes those cracks.

Would you mind updating you profile with the diagnosis date? As soon as I read your post I glanced across to see that date and it's not there.

Jen asks good questions, even though she is right, we don't like being asked them, we need all the supports we can get!

Yes to antidepressants. No to counselor at this time. We have a solid support system--all I need to do is ask. Our adult daughters are fabulous and volunteer to take 2-3 night shifts a week, so the sleep thing is as good as it could be at this point. I am working full-time for financial reasons. Most of the time I realize how great we have it, especially compared to others in the same situation. And most of the time, we find the daily joy. But, still, I have those days were I am crabby, short-tempered and a little weepy. Today was one of those days--no rhyme or reason and no change in his status--just still overwhelmed. Maybe it was because one of my co-workers has a mother-in-law who has had ALS for six years and she died on Monday. She basically starved herself. Decided to stop eating and died 15 days later. I knew she had died, but spoke with my co-worker this morning and she gave me more details. And our caregiver's car broke down on the way to work, so she was a bit late, which means I was late, and well.......

With regard to being asked about anti-depressants and counseling, I think when it comes from folks who aren't caregivers, it is difficult to take because it seems to represent the idea that we could feel better, or don't have to feel sad, overwhelmed, whatever.... if only we would see someone or take a pill. And while I think the anti-depressants help me cope most of the time, I still have those other feelings at times too.

Anyway, tomorrow will be another day.

I know just how you feel, some days all I can do is cry and lash out at everyone and some days are great. This is the other "gift" from ALS!!!

Having one of those days seems perfectly normal to me. Meds can ease our anxiety but it does not stop our brains nor hearts. I had a long drive home today from OKC. I listened to music and got myself in quite a mood. Still feeling sick so that did not help.

Working outside of the home during this battle does not make it any easier as far as I am concerned. We are split between two places and we both know that we would rather be home most of the time.

You are right, tomorrow is another day.

Hope tomorrow is a better day, Cody. I've had days as you described (more often lately than even when first diagnosed) and I don't always know why one day is harder than another. It's hard to stay on top of all that is happening every day - for anyone, I think. Glad you have the support you have. I often wonder what I would do without friends and family. But the pain is still real, even with support to handle it.

We walk a very tightly balanced line, and it doesn't take much at all for the pain, fear, and horror to break through the calm places we create for ourselves. It helps to come here when that happens. I also feel very, very fortunate compared to most in our situation, and so sometimes I feel bad about feeling bad, but it's all relative and you need to vent.
Hugs
Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back