06/2016
Country
US
State
NC
City
Holly Springs
Hi,
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, but my husband (PALS) recently started complaining of joint pain/aches in his ankle and his finger. He said his ankle is randomly giving out on him and it aches as does his finger in his right hand. I've read that magnesium should help and I just wanted to be sure that is true. Can anyone recommend a brand or dosage or other things that might help? Thank you,

-Nikki

It depends. Magnesium (I recommend taurate) helps with cramping but I experience aches and pains cause by my muscles weakening and other muscles trying to take over for them. In my case, this has gone from non-existent last year to having to take Oxy off and on this year. I treat cramping with Valium and magnesium but these issues are totally different.

I find warm water good for both so if you have pool access or even a hot shower, they might help.

Start range of motion exercises early but do not overdo it. Muscles get damaged more easily and cannot repair themselves.

I would advise everyone to get on magnesium. It's good for many things including heart rhythm, constipation, migraine....most diets are too low in magnesium and too high in calcium. These two minerals oppose one another so taking a magnesium supplement makes sense in almost everyone.

I do taurate and a couple of other kinds that are better for constipation but not as good for cramping just because I take constipating meds.

Thank you so much for the information Kim. I will try the taurate to see if that helps.

-Nikki

Hi Nikki.

In regards to his foot, you mention that "his ankle is randomly giving out on him". It's possible that he is experiencing foot drop which might also explain the pain/aches in his ankle. His physician should be able to confirm if it is foot drop and advise you on how to treat it.

Is the finger one which he uses a lot? If so he may be experiencing muscle fatigue or atrophy. I would also have his physician check this out. There are hand splints and other devices which may be of help.

Hope this is helpful. Have a great weekend.

Vicki

Hi, Nikki, the "People w/ ALS" (PALS) part of the forum is for people w/ ALS to talk w/ each other so in future, you might want to post where I have moved this one, the CALS (caregivers) part, or the "General" forum. Just a caution that magnesium does interact with heart and kidney issues/meds, so if he has problems in that area, I would try the Mg lotion instead.

Best,
Laurie

Since this was a question about the PALS, rather than a caregiving questions I would have thought the OP put it in the right place so other PALS could respond easily.

I didn't reply before because I wasn't sure, but I would probably get it checked first as an orthotic may be needed too.

No big thing either way, just thought Nikki might get more reads and suggestions in CALS. Or General.

Nikki, I experience the joint pain also. I think it is probably a very normal thing for us. As our muscles weaken our joint are getting more direct "rubbing" without the muscles to support them. My ankles role very easily, particularly my left on which I had damaged multiple times before ALS. I know this is not an answer to how to stop it but I think it is just part of our new existence and we just have to keep pushing through all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back