Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
ct
City
stratford
Hi, I was at work today and Jay's aid called to tell me the ambulance was there and that he had a seizure. His nurse happened to be here when it happened. They both said his head was down and he wasn't moving and then he started drooling. Then his eyes were rolling back and his face "looked funny" and he was shaking uncontrollably for about three minutes. He's had episodes similar to this about three other times. Dr said he doesn't think it was a seizure and thinks he was just passing out. They gabe him 2 liters of IV saying it was dehydration and sent us home. My son was at work but calling and he was so angry that the dr gave us no answers. He told me to make them lol that's easier said than done. He's ok now but I believe this was more than passing out. So does his nurse and his aid. The doctor called his neurologist and he didn't seem to think it was anything. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jays, I'm sorry, but we have never had this problem. Hopefully Laurie or someone else will be able to help you.

Hugs,

sue

No eeg or mri????

No. They ran some blood tests and hydrated him and sent us home. His nurse and aid said again this morning that what happened appeard to be a seizure. he has no history of seizures.

Did the hydration seem to solve the immediate issue and he felt better when brought home?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have 2 daughters who have epilepsy, full blown fall on the ground and shake type of seizures. The sort of layman's test for is it faint or a seizure, is do they wake up alert and oriented. That is a faint. My daughters can take up to 1/2 an hour to reorient after a seizure and they generally sleep for for 4-6 hours after a seizure. Also keep fairly accurate track of time s to how long the seizure lasts. If you aren't used to seeing seizures minute seem like an hour. The issue with time is from the fact tht during a seizure you aren't breathing and 4 minutes or longer can lead to brain damage. As if you didn't have enough going on already. I hope this helps.
Vincent

Results of bloodwork? If he was really that dehydrated, some of the values like BUN and lytes should reflect that. Is he frequently hot or cold? Has he been dizzy, disoriented, nauseated, had difficulty speaking after/during any of the previous episodes or at other times? Does he take any rx? Does he drool/shake apart from this?

There are several types of seizures and they can be caused by chemical imbalances, other reason the blood work is of interest.

Best,
Laurie

I have to say that sounds so much like what happen to Lonny the last 2 weeks of his life. sorry, I am not up on your story as I don't follow the forum much, but did you test his O2 level at the time? my husband was using the trilogy almost full time when he had his--his O2 level dropped to about 45 and he was in respiratory distress. It looked just like a seizure to me frankly. he came out of it somehow, but several oother times his O2 would drop to the 80s and even 70s in the next week before he passed and.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back