Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Fairfax
I am struggling with a new fear this weekend and need someone to tell me it's crazy. Please. My right arm is incredibly sore and aches. The entire arm and hand. I have RA so am used to aches but this is so local and intense it has made me stop and wonder if it isn't something else. At the risk of sounding like an alarmist, it isn't the beginnings of als - right? I can't imagine if I were to also get this while caring for my husband. It's hard to not think the worst. I use this arm to help him so I probably strained it but knowing that the disease can begin with one limb is so hard to ignore. I know as bad as things are now, they could always be worse. This is just a reminder of that. :(

Youre right. It isnt als.

sun I think you need to do a few things in very short order.

1. get to your doctor and have your arm checked.
2. get an OT to check your house and the way you do your PALS care and learn how to do things safely
3. get a counsellor and start talking about the emotional side of being a CALS
4. consider anti depressants. the 3 points above may resolve your fears, but if not you may be becoming depressed.

You know ALS is not contagious, and is a rare disease. The chances of a husband and wife both having ALS are astronomical. Yes I have heard of it, once I think, so not impossible. But this is irrational and in your heart you know it. However, you need help to climb back up again, please start getting some xxx

Sun,
You've answered your own question, but try not to leap ahead to whatever could be worse. Whenever the worse crops up, for him and/or you, you will see it as another thing to deal with, and you will deal. Get whatever equipment/advice you need to safely help with transfers, care for him in bed, etc. As you would with any other weight or task, keep your limbs as close to your core as possible. We're always here for any specific questions.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks - you're both right in that I answered it myself. I never thought of als as contagious but I have heard of a husband / wife having it. Not contagious and against the odds, but it happened.
I have been to a counselor and considered antidepressants. I would take them but they conflict with another medication I need to stay on. I'm about to explore other options.
And yes, Laurie - I like to believe whatever challenge is coming, I will face.
I was foolish to write. Sorry. But thanks for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back