Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
Can ALS cause sensory issues? I was helping my mom try a shirt on and apparently the waist band felt funny and she freaked, "get it off, get it off, get it off!!!" So before I think she was being a drama queen I figured I'd ask

Jenny, yes my PALS/DH has had more sensory issues since ALS as well. OMG some times I think he's crazy, but little things like you are describing will really bother him. She isn't being a drama queen, maybe a little, but overall it seems their sense to touch is greater, at least for my DH.

sue

Yes, I get many sensory issues including pain, itching, tingling....

My PALS had pain issues after paralysis and atrophy occurred because there was very little muscle or fat between her bones and the world, so sitting would become very painful.

Inability to make micro-movements, little adjustments in our posture or position can be a problem. Healthy people never realize how much the average person twists and turns during the day. But if a PALS can't make those tiny motions, clothing and shoes can get twisted until they hurt.

Thanks so much for your replies. My mom has always had a flair for the dramatics so sometimes its hard to know which is what.

This is good to know. My husband seems super sensitive - lately it's the skin on his shoulders that hurts.

anywhere that the fat deposits have disappeared can be painful. we used strips of flannel or fleece to cushion against rubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back