What help do you as Caregivers think would be helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyC

Distinguished member
Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
I will not be my moms main caregiver as my house is a tri level, she will live with my Aunt and Uncle where she can be all on one level. I will go down during the day to hang out some times and probably overnight for one or two nights a week. So my question is this, what things would be most useful to them that I can do? Make meals for the freezer? Clean? What are some things no matter how big or how little that would help my Aunt and Uncle not just my mom.

All chores are good. Remember that people are proud of different things, so be sure not to step on any toes. For instance, if Aunt is a proud cook, be sure to ask before showing up with a meal.

Giving caregivers a day off for respite is important, but also very personal. I was offered time off, but refused to leave my PALS side.

"Respite" takes many forms. Just being with and hanging out w/ your mom and taking her out if/as possible with or without your aunt/uncle will be helpful.

Best,
Laurie

As caregiving tasks are added you can help by learning to do range of motion (ROM) exercises, tube feedings, or cleaning equipment. One of my daughters comes to visit for a few days every month or so and it gives me a nice break when she takes over some of those things while she's here.

Do a search back through this forum section as there have been some awesome threads on just this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back