Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
AR
City
Clinton
I posted already in the general discussion forum but I should have started here. I am a new full time caregiver of my 82 year old father who was diagnosed last year. It probably isn't technically ALS but a motor neuron disease very similar. I have just this month become his full time caregiver as he requires more care than the assisted living facility he lived in can give. He is such a sweetheart and everyone loved him so much that they kept him far longer than they should have. We have not had a good start. He is showing signs of dementia and spends all night trying to get out of bed and is in fact in the hospital right now because of a fall from bed. No one is getting any sleep (including him) because I can't get him off the floor by myself. I am very fortunate that my dad is small and my husband is large and can just pick him right up. Any ideas on how to keep him in bed? I read some of the posts about sleep and was relieved to see that sleep aids are used. I have hesitated up until now and of course his GP says it will only increase his mental confusion, but won't lack of sleep? And if he is sleeping instead of trying to get up then he won't be falling.

Oops, I responded on the other one. Hopefully the moderators will move your other post here.

Mimi27 - bed rails can help, but don't always, I'd suggest a hospital bed if you don't already have one. Sometimes the rails are enough of a deterrent. Other times meds help as well. Beyond that there is a thing they call a Posey. It's bascially a vest he would wear that then gets tied to the bedrails. I know that doesn't seem "nice" but it does keep them safe and they will use them in the hospital if necessary. They are a soft cloth as are the ties. (((hugs))) to you as you work to figure this out.

Sue

Ok, this thread us in two forums. The thread in General Discussion is getting more traffic, so I'm locking this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back