Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
MT
City
Boyd
Another door closing...we (my daughter and I) helped my sweet PALS, husband, with his very last cabinet job. Three uppers, one huge counter top. Beautiful work of course, but sadly I listened to him as he apologized to his client about tiny mistakes, shelf holes out of alignment, drips from the lacquer, things that would have never happened 8 months ago let alone be allowed to leave his shop, his work use to be perfectly flawless. He tripped and fell, catching himself with his hands but still hit his head, nothing broken no bleeding just shaky. Saying to us as we left, "That's it, I can't work anymore."

I am so sorry you and your husband are being confronted with such a profound and life altering change.

I'm truly sorry for husband -- and you and your daughter. Though the words may seem cliched, take comfort in the fact that you, your daughter and your husband completed the final cabinet job together. Sending love.

So sorry for another closed door. We all know what those losses feel like.

Hugs....the changes are so hard

Katy what a difficult decision for your hubby to make. I'm so glad the decision was his to make. It sounds as though he made the right choice.

I am sorry, Katie. Has he thought about taking on an apprentice whom he could instruct?

Katie, I am so sorry. It is crazy how we are all miles apart but have so many things in common. My husband was a cabinet maker for over 30 years. He was wonderful and made so many wonderful things including remodeling our house. I remember that time for him so well. He was falling at work and was having problems with his hands and did not want to say anything to me. Within two weeks oh his diagnoses he had to quit working. It was the first loss but not the last.

The losses are what tears our hearts apart. Our children, grandchildren, family and friends also lose so much. The silver lining is that we learn to make the most of what we do have and although there are so many changes some of them will be good. It is so hard to see anything but pain and heartbreak but we have to so ALS doesn't take it all from us.

Mu heart is with you and your family Katie!

Oh Katie, when our PALS love their work it is so terribly cruel when they realise they have to close that door.

My Chris ran his own cafe. So losing his speech, swallowing and hands first quickly took the work he loved away from him. He was one of those talk to anyone, non-stop people who laughed constantly.

There just aren't words to express the grief at each of these losses. :cry:

I am so sorry...I wish I had words of wisdom, my mom still works but I don't think it will be for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back