Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Williamstown
Hello,
My sister has ALS and was given a laptop with an eye gaze system. I can get the eye gaze to work for me but not her. My sister is mostly in a hospital bed and getting the lap top set up in front of her on table at a level that it detects her eyes is very difficult. Due to the angle of her head it doesn't connect to her well. We try to reposition her but no luck. Even if she gets it to work a little, it doesn't move the mouse exactly where she needs it to go. Maybe our particular system isn't the best? I see other people have ones that seem to be attached to their chair possibly and sits next to them. Any advice is greatly appreciated! She is losing her ability to talk and we are very frustrated! Thank you

My sister received her eye-gaze computer along with a stand that moves the computer up/down, side to side and angles. Even with that and propping up her head with pillows (a donut ear pillow is great!), she can have problems though. Perhaps try a computer stand with a movable clamp? I have seen them for tablets but not sure that it would fit a laptop.

Thank you! I wish hers came with a stand. Is hers just a flat screen, not a lap top? I will have to look into a stand

Yes, it is a flat screen, like a desk top. It is the computer that tobii provided. Without the stand I don't know how she would use the computer due to her lack of neck support. Good luck!

Hi CD,

Sorry your sister is having difficulty with, what is, an excellent piece of kit.

I suspect the main problem is poor calibration. You may have to change the table height or use a lap table/tray to achieve good calibration. Calibration is key. It may take her several attempts to get good calibration. Also, direct light on the eye gaze bar affects it.

Given she spends most of her time in bed, can she be comfortably propped up w/ pillows to stay in a stable position? Does she wear a neck brace?

Hope she finds a solution!

Ells.
I use a Tobii EyeX very successfully w/ both a laptop and a tablet.

Thank you for your input. There is no direct light on the eye gaze equipment. I have adjusted the table and her as much as possible. She can hold her head in a steady position fine but she can't sit up anymore than she is and I think that's the problem. Her eyes just aren't looking upward and open enough. I have calibratedit many times with no luck. I will have to check what brand she has. This was given to her for free. Not sure if other brands/options are available for her for free from the ALS association, or how to ask.

You can see what Eye Gaze Hardware your sister has by checking “Devices” on the Control Panel of PC.

It’s usual to see 2 white “eye dots” on or near the Taskbar, denoting the eye tracker can see your sister’s eyes, or xx if her eyes cannot be detected. This guide would rule out a calibration problem, which would be useful.

Given that you’ve just got the laptop, it’s a good idea to check both the eye gaze hardware and software are using the latest updated versions.

CD - yesterday we had the speech therapist here as my husband was having issues also trying to use the loaner Tobii Eye gaze. What the therapist figured out is he would be better off using a switch. We tested it using a mouse held under his chin as he can still open his mouth (they do have other types of switches). They are going to get a switch here in a couple of weeks and try to find a way to rig it up for him to use. My suggestion is to find out if your ALSA has a speech therapist they use and have that person come out and evaluate. They could not get a calibration for my husband either with the eyes. There are alternative ways to use the machine/laptop.

Sue

you also may be able to get a tobii sales rep to come out and give you training. I would call the company and ask.
glasses with a split lens can cause poor calibration and so can a bi-pap mask.

i think a stand is going to be essential for getting the machine in the right position, but keep in mind that it's also really tiring for some people to use. Kathy was never able to master the machine because it just exhausted her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back