Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
New York
City
Niagara Falls
Can anyone tell me what to do about my husband who has ALS extreme anger. he is becoming very verbally abusive and driving away all my help. The disease itself is difficult and heartbreaking but the constant barrage of verbal insults and profanity is wearing me down. he doesn't sleep so there is never a break from it

This sometimes happens. The solution--if there is one--depends on the cause. If it's due to depression, your doctor can help with a medication. If he has a fear that he's not sharing, a counselor or chaplain might be appropriate. If it's from FTD, then somebody much smarter than me will come along to help.

Hi derosas,

May I ask a couple of questions?

Is this an increase of typical behaviour for him? Was he always an angry kind of person who would fly off at people?

Are there any other personality issues happening that you have noticed?

Have you spoken with his doctors about this?

What medications is he on? Does he have pain too?

My husband was bulbar onset ALS and had FTD, so the behavioural stuff I experienced was awful. But I'm not jumping to conclusions, which is why I'm asking you some questions. I'm so sorry this is happening for you :(

If he's not sleeping enough, that's a recipe for anger in anyone. No one wants to be awake all that time, so what seems to be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back