Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
Uni
State
TEXAS
City
El Paso
Well we finally have the elevator in the garage, the power chair and today I took the Pilot in and had the chair lift installed. I came home and got my PALS and took him out to dinner! It was scary and nerve wracking at first, that big, heavy thing bouncing on the back of the car...but he was so thrilled to finally get out of the house.

Now that I've made the trips to and from the restaurant, I feel much more confident about loading and unloading him and the chair. Whew. Now onto the remodel...

That's great Michelle, it will give you both more freedom.
Love Gem

You are getting there. The remodel was the worst for us...Julien was a wreck, Steve was uncomfortable and I was working. Now that it is done we love it. It looks beautiful to us and it is very functional.

I am so happy for you. It's great that you now have the solutions you need to enjoy moments with your PAL

This is such an achievement Michelle!

That maiden voyage is the scariest, and you may have some days it's not as smooth, but you have done brilliantly, setting the scene for many more escapes from the house and opening the world up again for you both :)

That's wonderful, Michelle!! Getting out and about: priceless!

I remember my husband saying he'd not go out to eat with a cane, and then he did.
And then he said he'd not be seen in public with a walker, but he was.
And then came the power chair, and he was more excited than I'd seen him in a very long time. That began the era of stupid chair tricks, which are really a delight to watch. Enjoy!!!!

Becky
The Queen of Everything (to include having custom springs made for the back of our Honda Ridgeline because the combined weight of the Frontier V6 and lift was to much for the truck and destroyed the struts).

Yes, the hardest time is the first time taking these excursions! What used to take me 15 minutes to do, like tethering the chair, take much less time and it is safer.

That began the era of stupid chair tricks, which are really a delight to watch. Enjoy!!!!

I need to hear more about stupid chair tricks:)

I am always looking for new ways to have fun.

Steve

Nuts, I am laughing though I know it isnt funny. The whole car issues stink. If their was one thing I could change, I would send a clone to the car dealers for repairs.

Steve search on some of nuts previous posts from her statistics to read of the stupid chair tricks, she has some incredible stories.

In fact there are some old stories here from years ago ... one involved a ride on mower, brush cutter in hands, getting caught up in some bushes, going over a garden edge, stopping with a tree and wasp nest ...

Al couldn't walk so thought doing the edges from the back of the mower while the wife was out seemed a bright idea. He could still just manage to transfer himself onto the mower. He couldn't transfer himself off however, so waiting for his wife to arrive home ... that new google search function we have might even allow the post to be found!

I believe his CALS never let him forget it ...

Well, Steve, there are the silly ones like reclining and tilting back as far as he can and driving around like that, kind of standing on his head.. Chasing grandkids, driving backwards, etc. Those were funny. Blowing off the drivway by placing the blower on the foot pads between his feet, not quite as funny. Getting stuck multiple times in gravel or still soft sod, not funny at all. Since my filter is about gone, I'll share that I peed my pants more than once pushing that $%#! Frontier out of the gravel or mud.
Sliding down the driveway sideways on the ice in the Permobile, when the V6 was available, really stupid. I barely caught him that time. I've come close to getting the winch out a couple of times...

Rumor has it that he's let Heidi lead him off the road an onto the game trails more than once--where of course I couldn't find him if he didn't come home. LOL...she told our grandson to where deer had bedded down the night before last weekend--she knows her way around.

Oh Becky, it was always a concern for me when helping Chris around, even though we never went out anywhere with the PWC as we couldn't transport it. A manual wheelchair can need enough grunt on an incline or hitting a rut to cause any woman dismay!

You haven't told the full detail of half your stories it seems, I'm so glad sw asked, I'm sure laughing at some visions, and holding my breath at others!

Nuts: It sounds like he and I are kindred spirits. I have also caused stress and worry in my wife's life through my wheelchair antics. And, yes, I have gone offroad by myself without telling her.

I try to take my cell phone along, but sometimes forget it.

Though I have reported on some of my adventures, I have not quite fessed up to some of the more irrational things I have done. Perhaps someday I will share some of those.

I think the worst thing was at our doctor's visit last week when I finally did the unimaginable. I was looking at the building directory. I did not realize my wife (Lori) had walked up right next to, but slightly behind, me. I did not know she was there. When I pivoted the wheelchair, I ran over both her feet.

I can't take any chances on dinging my caregiver.

My wheelchair is my freedom. I am glad to hear of others doing the same. The stories give me so much encouragement and hope.

I will search for past stories, but please be sure to post some more!

Steve

Tillie, I'm short on time right now, but I am going to go read that thread!

Steve, if you aren't ready to share those stories with your wife, perhaps you could write them or record them for her. Now running over her toes...that's scarey!! I've had to jump quickly a few times myself, but so far no squished feet.

My concern for this year is the dock. He plans to put a pool lift down there so he can be lowered into the boat or the water. Hmmmm. Not unless there are other, stronger, people to help!! Actually, I'll try just about anything he asks, but the waverunners are out of the question. I hate drawing any line for my darling, but I don't think anyone will be wiling to put him on those beasts now that his back is trying to catch up with his legs.

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back