Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
OH
City
OLMSTED FALLS
Ok, so the VA messed up and the supplements he was to use in his feeding tube were not delivered, for over 3 weeks. I bought boost, but it didn't seem like it was enough. So I turned to the kitchen for help. I started making smoothies for the feeding tube, just to get calories in. I used natural, unflavored yogurt, milk, fruit after being juiced, sweetened, condensed milk, bananas, ice cream. I also got out my juicer and started making mixes of tomatos, spinach, carrots, parsnips, garlic, parsley, salt, brocolli etc.
I know these mixtures do not have all the same vitamins, fiber etc. as a feeding tube solution, but he likes them. Natural food. He takes the isosource now, but wants the homemade mixtures as well, he has actually gained 3 lbs. this week.
My question, does anyone else make homemade food like this? If so what do you add, or not add. He is gaining weight now and has some color, energy so I would like all the help I can get on what I should and should not add to these mixtures.

In the PEG section there is a forum area for recipes, you may find some great solutions there.

Basically though ANYTHING you can blend up and get down the tube is good.
The higher the calorie count the better so using things like butter, cream, ice cream, coconut oil, coconut cream, gravy, depending on any allergies or preferences, can help hit the calories up.

Don't worry so much about whether they are balanced nutritionally, think about what would a person normally consume in a day and use those ingredients and then add calories to it!

If you are also giving some packaged feeds, you are likely to balance it all out more than well.

If his colour and energy is improving, he is putting on weight, (or at least not losing weight) and his bowels are moving, you have the right mix of everything!

awesome! I have been so distracted I didn't know about thr recipe section. :) It's working so far, so gonna improve it as I can. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back