Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
I know the title is extremely random and I promise it somehow relates to ALS. :)

I am new to this forum, have been reading it for a little while but first time posting. My mom was recently diagnosed with ALS in December and since then we've moved in together. Before this all happened I was in the process of getting a puppy. I'm not sure if I still should as I am afraid of burning myself out. Although having a furry little friend might provide some comfort during these hard times. My mom is still currently able to take care of most of her basic needs. I am wondering if I should get one sooner than later so I can train it before my mom progresses... I also live with my sister and my boyfriend so there are plenty of people around.

Welcome, Mary. Sorry to hear about your mom. We're happy to help however we can.

You'll find many canine pics and stories here, so I'm sure you'll get a yes from those doggie owners and perhaps some breed recommendations. Of course, you should have buy-in from your housemates and understanding about who will do what, as in any living situation.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
I can't think of a situation where getting a puppy would be a bad idea. But then I'm kind of biased.....

Yes. It sounds like you have the resources to care and train a puppy.
Mine gives me so much comfort. And, she's the best therapy I could ever get!
I'm biased also!!
Marty

I'm with Vincent. Puppy! Adorable and squishy and wonderful!

If you get a dog with thoughts of training him/her as an assistance dog, there are many resources online to help you with breeds and training. You will have a lifetime of loving and devoted companionship. If you're worried about the time it might take to train a puppy, there are many dogs in shelters who are ready to devote their lives to a new family. Many of them come already well trained and take little effort to integrate into your home.

If you get a puppy (or an older dog!) you must promise to post pictures.

~Fiona

I will vote for a puppy as well. You do want to give thought to the breed ( even if you get a mixed breed which would be great they have traits from their dominant breed(s)). You want one that is not too excitable and one that does not require hours of long walks. Down the road it may be difficult/ impossible to accommodate that. But a dog will be a comfort and joy to all of you I am sure

Mary I am sorry about your mom. I vote against the puppy in your circumstances. I have dogs, I love dogs, but I have a neighbour who got a puppy in July. Her husband was dying of cancer, but he was still mobile and independent. He suggested that my neighbour would then have something to cuddle and love when he was gone. He got very sick very quickly--not expected by anyone. The puppy was an additional stress for her while her hubby was dying. She is exhausted now from the whole experience and just can't rebound. Says she would love to take a trip but doesn't want to leave the puppy. She said to me yesterday, "I wish I hadn't let him talk me into getting a puppy. I love him dearly but it is just too overwhelming". The dear little puppy is very poorly socialized due to all the circumstances. We bring him over to our place to try to help, but the little duffer has gotten a bad deal. I would say wait until you have the time, energy, and can focus totally on raising the puppy. We are currently fostering a one year old puppy, and he takes lots of time and attention if you want a good happy dog. Sending you a big hug.
Laurel

I am voting for the puppy if they have been house trained, pad trained,etc. I would also look for a hypoallergenic smaller dog so you have less cleaning needs. We are looking at them as well. My son wants the pet, my husband isnt so sure. We may wait but I see a dog in our future.

Recently we have flown and saw a small dog in a carrier on the plane in its own seat. Many hotels rooms where pets are allowed if small.

We got a puppy 2 years ago and she is such company for me and a great distraction for the kids. I loved that the focus shifted from me to the (adorable) puppy, in fact, she still is the centre of attention!
Somehow she knows I’m different and, even though I can’t pat her, I get copious licks. She also lies on my feet and keeps them warm. She has enriched my life tremendously.

Of course, as a PALS, I’ve a good excuse for not doing any dog chores, but you must decide if you have the time to take on all that a puppy entails. I totally agree that choosing the right breed is vital. I have carers coming in daily and regular visits from various Health Care Professionals, so the dog had to be innately friendly and non-possessive.

Good luck with your decision,
Ells.

You need to get a dog. Make sure you choose one that is suited for your life style. Keep in mind that a dog can be like a part time job.

I would be lost without Harlee. She is a very high maintenance dog, being an Old English Bulldog, weighing 65 lbs. She wants to play 24/7, and is never more than 6 feet away from me. Sometimes she reminds me of the proverbial "ball and chain". I try to keep her busy playing ball, tugging, and she loves to play with balloons.

I can't walk her now, because of my balance and her strength. I feel guilty because I know she needs the exercise. She is the dog of my life!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2569.JPG
    IMG_2569.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    520 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1875 (2).JPG
    IMG_1875 (2).JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 251
Thank you everyone for your input! Things have been hectic around here as we finishing moving into our new place. I think I will let things settle down a bit and see the day to day is like before we get a puppy.

Bigmark - Harlee looks like sweetheart!! :)

--

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back