Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Finally tonight my sweetie is sleeping--not up several times watching TV, asking for food and drink (he's always hungry), knocking things off his table or suffering in pain. Apparently I'm trained now to be awake from midnight till 3, because here I am, wide awake for no good reason. ARGH!!!!!

I must admit it's peaceful. The moon reflecting off the snow is lovely and I do so enjoy the quiet. I'm going to pay for it in the morning, however, and the aid is not coming because the secondary roads have not been ploughed and her car doesn't do well on the snow and ice.

Oh, my black eye is itching. I ran into the spreader bars on the ceiling lift and put a big knot on my head, right between the eyes. The knot is almost gone, but I have a HUGH shiner that is still growing. And now it itches. Maybe that is what woke me up.

So many here are suffering terribly right now and I'm complaining about a little insomnia. Instead. Of. The. Things. That. Really. Scare. Me.

Yup, I know exactly what you mean.

Ah but it's another preservation instinct - we can't do anything to stop The. Things. That. Really. Scare. You.

But we can listen, and a shiner is no small thing.

I remember when I broke my toe, it almost tipped me over the edge for that first couple of painful weeks! Sure, in fact, the toe was the least of my real problems, but it's that last straw that breaks the camels back isn't it!

Can you grab a day nap at all to catch up a little tomorrow?
Public holiday here tomorrow - Australia day.
I'm staying home - who needs to be out among the yobbos drinking beer and playing cricket and falling down ;)

But in reality, I used to so wake up at night after being exhausted all day. I would get Chris settled, do a few chores, a little quiet time, a shower and then wide awake!
I think we crave that quite time, even as we know that we need the sleep more.

Have you tried any of those meditation apps? Laying back with some soothing music, nature sounds or something playing quietly to help you wind down?
I admit I didn't try them, gosh I was so wired I didn't even think to try anything like that!

big hugs in the middle of the night

Except for Tillie, who is enjoying day time, shouldn't we all be sleeping? Guess we could play some cards or charades...

Jim

Ooooooohhhhhhh I love charades!!!! :lol:

Meditation: Tillie, I think that's a grand idea. My sister recommends yoga, and that would be good also. I'm on day four of no walk because of icy roads, no aide, and my increasing caution. This might be a good day.

Jim, Charades, wow. I've been wondering how, and I think I know. Shall it be still shots or videos?

Mike, I know you know. Let me thank you again for sticking around to take care of us. I fully understand those who leave, but I am thankful for those of you (hey Tillie) who find healing in helping.

if I had a black eye, itching and pain I would be complaining. Sleep is missed by so many of us right now. We can start a midnight club. I am so tired at times but cannot sleep. I read and do anything I can to stop my brain from being on overtime but it's not working. I manage to get three or four hours per night so guess I should not be complaining. You are correct, we are all going through difficult times but it does not mean one is worse than the other. Every of us should vent here because I think it actually helps. You never know who is reading your post and who it makes feel better knowing they are not alone. I have learned more by reading posts than posting my own.

I hope you eye clears up soon. Most of the time itching means healing.

Me, My brain starts at 2am every morning without fail, I am asleep then at 2am (give or take 5 minutes) my brain is whirring away at a thousand miles an hour. I have been like this for the past 12 months, sort of get used to it.

I am one of the lucky ones as Julie does sleep 14 hours a day (5pm to 7am) so I do get a few hours in the evening to wind down but because I get up at 2am I am normally tired by 6pm but cannot go to bed then otherwise I would be up at 10pm.

I am used to 4 hours a night... I could have more but I am so used to four hours a night that it is impossible to have a lay in, I just cannot do it.

Unfortunately, I am in the UK so 2am here is around 6 in the afternoon in the US, No...

Dave X

PS... I do a lot of my forum reading from 2am to 7am as there is nothing else I can do... To scared of waking Julie up so reading is my forte in the mornings.

Charades by video sounds so hilarious!

Maybe a variation could be something like a little app I've got on my phone called 4 pics 1 word? It gives me 4 pictures and I have to work out the word.

So our charade could be something on that line.

Back when I was part of the middle of the night club I had a few games that we used to play here - one was the sentence game. That was lots of fun for a while.

Another thing that really works for me Becky, that I do now is sudoku puzzles. But it could be any kind of puzzle.

I get in bed to with them, and usually I start falling asleep through the second one ;)

Search 10 of the best yoga poses for sleep. Someone just posted a link to a huffington post article in one of my mnd groups. I know some of them are definitely relaxing and I am going to give a couple a try

I absolutely need 7 to 8 high quality hrs of sleep. I have moved to another bedroom because I was getting a couple with dozing. Gotta do what you gotta do

I also need a lot of sleep. People think I am the energiser bunny and go day and night. They don't understand that I am in bed not much after 8pm most nights, but I'm up by 5 each morning and can do a full days work by the time most people have only just had breaky ...

Another warning to CALS tho is that I was surviving on very little sleep as things progressed with Chris, particularly until he started sleeping in the hospital bed. I had a microsleep in the car (thankfully driving on my own) and wrote my car off. Thankfully I was not injured but it was a huge wake up call for me! (no pun intended)

I've always been a 7 to 8 hour a night person--any less and things get ugly. Unfortunately it takes more than that if I have to sleep in shifts, so I'm learning to take naps, even if next to him on the couch when he naps. I really, really don't know how CALS with children and jobs do this. So, it's 9:30 and I should be starting my first sleep period, and I'm wide awake. LOL...some nights I go to bed at 7:30 with hubby.

I don't know how to move to another room, Steph. He needs help turning in his sleep. He fights with his mask. Sometimes he turns the Trilogy off and leaves the mask on. He knocks things off his bedside table. Then there are the other spills, or the requests for food (sometimes several times a night...he hungry all the time). I think if I had to walk down the hall to respond to him that it would be much tougher.

I think we also make Heidi (our dog, for those just tuning in) crazy. She lifts her little head every time I walk past her bed. If it gets too busy, she finds a quiet place in another room. That doesn't last too long though, because she really wants to know what's going on all the time.

I help steve get settled then he stays pretty much stays in one spot. He is all snuggled in with pillows. I hear
the trilogy if it goes off but here is the thing...we have a hooked up hospital bed in the bedroom for him which he refuses to use or even try. He will not let me buy a bed rail and on and on. I am not disagreein witsomeone so stubborn at 2 am. So we are in different rooms. I am getting great sleep. I was at the point of exhaustion...falling asleep at traffic lights and feeling myself falling asleep driving is scary.

I guess we all have to figure out the best solution for us CALS to get a good nights sleep.

At first I tried a separate room with a baby monitor. I soon tired listening to noises and being half awake, listening for a call from mdh. We then went to a wireless doorbell that worked until hubby fell and broke his hip. The p/t recommended a hospital bed with air mattress and foam overlay. This was put in the bedroom with our Queen sized bed. We tried this for two nights with me in the big bed and hubby in the hospital bed. He found it too confining.

Fast forward-----We now love the hospital bed, which I sleep in! Love being able to raise the head and read. I find it very comfortable too. I use my I pad to read until I can wind down and fall asleep. Hubby loves his big bed and with a mild tranquilizer sleeps all night.

He does have a trilogy with a vaporizer attached, that he uses at night. We did have some problems with finding a mask that was comfortable, but have had good luck with the nasal pillows. I do take a small tuck in the straps for a tighter fit and wash the straps every couple of days.

If all fails and we have a rough night, an afternoon nap helps. Not so good if you are driving however, or at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back