Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MN
City
Hastings
My husband has had ALS for 7 years and the ALS clinic suggested we get him signed up for hospice when we were there in Oct. We started hospice the fifth of Nov. The last couple weeks he has had a lot of phlegm which resulted in him choking and difficulty breathing. The hospice nurse has prescribed atropine drops and Robafen. Have any of your PALS been on these and if so, is it something he will have to keep taking and were there any side effects? Thank you.

Mucinex might help, it is OTC so easily available. Follow the dosage and repeat it asap.
There is a new heavy duty Mucinex, I think it is gel caps for a longer duration. I just use the regular and it seems to help a little.

americanbadass

Can Mucinex be crushed and put in a feeding tube? My husband is choking on so much Phlegm now, he can't get it out, even with suction. Some pills can be crushed, and some can't. Curious if this could help.

His mucus problems are relatively minor so far, but my PALS is using a store-brand liquid that is equivalent to Mucinex: Guaifenesin USP 200mg; the label says it's for mucus & chest congestion. A nurse from his ALS clinic said we could put it in his tube mixed with an equal amount of water.

Thank you, I didn't know about liquid mucinex, guai.

There is a mucinex d with dextromothorphan. It is 1200 mg of mucinex and 60 mg of dextro. It is extended release so I dont think it can be crushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back