Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Happy New Year's wishes are tricky with people in our situation, so how about we put the past year to bed?

Yesterday we made the 2 hour drive to empty out Matt's office. He hasn't used it in ages as he's working from home. He was told it would be there as long as he wanted it, but it seemed a waste of space since he really can't even go in on his own now that he can't transfer. It was a bittersweet day, but we left with a smile after learning that the office is going to be turned into a lactation room for at least the next four months. I can think of ALL SORTS of jokes to make... Of course, I now have more boxes of "stuff" to do something with. Anybody need a coffee mug?

Given the realities of ALS, this has been a good year. I pray that 2016 is as kind, and I wish love, laughter, and help for all of my family here.

I love you all and am thankful that we will have each other as we face what 2016 has to offer.

Becky
Queen of Everything

(Oh, please use your titles if you respond--the crowns are fun)

Beautiful Becky. So hard to do that clean out I'm sure, and yet it's another thing done which is good too.

Yep, lactation room can immediately conjure some jokes up :lol:

Here's to 2016, whatever it brings us, may we find joy in every possible moment. I'm already half way through the first day ...

As the queen of scheduling, I see our calendar for January and dread all the appointments. However, I am immensely hopeful that my family will have peace and happiness in 2016.

I was feeling pretty down when I started this thread, then I popped into the PALS weekly checkin and was put to shame by their positive posts. What an incredible group. So, I am delighted that I've seen yet another new year with my love.

I'm also terrified. I see changes that scare me, including changes in myself. I'm having trouble being kind and patient. I think it's time for a break. I was going to visit my dad (with Alzheimer's) or my mom (with Parkinson's), but I think what I really need is to get away completely by myself. I'm going to send out an SOS to the family--cross your fingers for me.

BTW, is it a bad sign when you start drinking the coconut rum straight up?

The Q of E (and yup, I think I'm finally facing the reality that I will get the full ride with this monster, so I will live up to my title).

I'm more than happy to see the end of 2015. It started with a nasty exchange with my PALS sister and ended with him in care. No it wasn't all bad, there were great days sprinkled in there. 2016 marks the beginning of the 41st month. He beat the odds. I've been trying to focus on how each day is an unexpected gift. Trying.

Becky, I'm glad our check ins cheered you up. Lactation room, too easy, ha ha. Yes, it's a bad sign you're drinking coconut rum. Unless you're on a beach and Manuel is making sure you never run dry. I'll stick to my bourbon. LOL

Tillie, I wish you all the joy 2016 can bring.

Gooseberry, I hope you find your peace and happiness, hectic schedule and all.

Thank you all for the smiles and shoulders to cry on when I needed it.

I don't have a title, maybe Prince of ....

Paul

=o0:-|0o=

Prince of Persistence ( sounds better than mule headed stubborn)

AH Prince of Persistence and with a crown I LOVE IT!

Becky you must make taking a true break a priority right now. You are feeling the beginnings of a burn out and you can be honest about this. What you are doing is totally huge and there is still more to come and you know it.

Tell the family you are in crisis, don't downplay it or they will pussy-foot around getting organised to help. Better to say you are in crisis now than wait a bit and be in crisis!

I couldn't drink coconut rum straight if you paid me, but I couldn't drink it with a mixer either. Give me a good OP rum though and I need a mixer, but I can do UP rum in shots :)

I've been drinking a 125 year old bottle of rum. I was going to save it for my 55th birthday, but what the hell. No way I could drink it straight it's 75.9%! I've learned to just tip a tiny bit in the glass :D

You are right, the PALS here are a constant inspiration to me too.

I am also one glad to put 2015 behind me. I now realize that I am also stupid with my posts here as well as dealing with this nasty disease. I did enter a post stating Happy New Year to all. Guess wrong choice of words. We have been watching animated movies and there are only adults in our house. lol. Anyways, we watched Inside Out today and it reminded us that there has to be sad and joy in our lives or everything gets off balance.
So here's to the New Year and whatever it throws at us.

Becky- I take short breaks just for me and Steve is happy when I do. I go visit my best friend and we do something together even if its just drinking Margarita's until we are laughing and no longer crying. She has lost a son and husband so we get each other. I am reminded that there is still something left of me. It also helps with the irritated, scared, an hurt feelings that I deal with. It is ok to need time by yourself and its part of being the Queen of Everything.

Tille, my 55th birthday is in two months so we can toast to twice. I hope you have a wonderful year. I am sure you are going to have much success in 2016.. Steph my calendar is also full in Jan so starting out the year with a bang.

Thanks to everyone for helping Steve and myself on this journey. The road has been a lot smoother, due to be carried by all of you when the road was to hard. I love you all! in 2015 I learned that we can be united around the world. It should not take a journey like ALS to bring us closer together but it is proof that passing it forward is a beginning. I so wish I could meet each one of you, give you a hug and my heartfelt thanks.

So wishes for all. May 2016 bring love, support, and the gift of each day counting by not counting.

Never stupid scared, never stupid.

2016 will be a big year of change for us I fear. I am so grateful for the support and silliness we have here.

Becky, I would ask for help also. Family here for the holidays helped immensely. I didnt have to worry about Steve and that was a tremendous relief. I also slept. 12-14 hrs a night. I was exhausted, and emotionally spent. The elves cleaned and organized our garage. I can actually find stuff.

Our artificial Christmas tree is still up because Steve believes his journey is ending and he wont see another Christmas. Lots of difficult discussions we have been having.

Scared your posts arent stupid. Happy New Year is optimistic. Maybe it means a way for pals and cals to have better family time or to be able to work things out so travel is possible. It is positive....so keep it coming.

queen of scheduling

Paul, Prince of Persistance it is!

Steph, all that sleep sounds marvelous! I have people I could visit, but I think a hotel would be nice, where no one is wondering what time I'll get up or what I need. I just want to be completely alone.

Scared, NOT stupid. Happy New Year is a wonderful hope, and I so admire our PALS who shared that wish.

Tillie, 125 year old rum, wow! Where do you find such a treat?

Ladies and Gentlemen, here's to us. You've all brought me back up (but I'm still going...just have to decide where).

Love you all
Becky

You will go Nuts we will keep checking on what dates you have booked ... :)

My son bought me the rum when he went to the factory at Bundaberg - it's our famous bundy rum with the big polar bear for advertising (go figure why a polar bear is the symbol for an aussie rum but it works as everyone knows bundy!). I've had it already for well over a year.

He's a good lad that son!

Ill be 55 this year as well, it's been a great start to 2016. I'm sure there will be some tears and trials along the way, thank you to you all CALS and PALS, you are all beautiful and wonderful people, love from down under, maybe I could be the Queen of down under....now that could very easily be misunderstood ..haaaa.
Love and hugs Gem

It's the Year of Plastic for us. Seems changing out breakable dishes to plastic ones was a bigger moment than the decision not to drive anymore.

We have had a good run of this ALS stuff, 2010 the year of diagnosis, still able to get around the house without wheels for the most part, still able to feed himself most of the time, though other ADL's have fallen out of favor with his body, overall he had a pretty good year. This Year of Plastic we are embarking on will likely be his most challenging thus far. I can see much more atrophy than ever before, and so it goes with this big disease/small shoulders kind of disease we all have in our lives.

Gem - I'll be 56 this year, in a few weeks as a matter of fact. Every year I love turning one year older.

Mary
My Lady (currently overdosing on Downton Abbey, on season 2 episode 8 is on the menu for tonight)

I'm glad I opened that rum because I will only be 54 this year, so I was going to have been looking at it on display for way too long with my plan to open when 55! ;)

Tillie

Mary, after cleaning up knocked over drinks several times in one week, I'm now putting sippy style lids on the nighttime drinks. We've also moved to larger coffee cups (with no more content). Add tremors to weakening arms/hands and things get a bit shakey!

We're also entering the "no transfering without a lift" zone, which makes going out in public a bit of a crap shoot (sorry, I had to do it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back