Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
We have to do a wellness screen for our health insurance each year. Steve's weight has been stable but his waist size has increased 8". I know we kinda joke about the buddha belly but are there any thoughts as to why this happens? He has lost a lot of his core strength which I think is a possible cause.

Steph, I cannot answer your question.
What I will say is that I cannot believe they are making someone with ALS do a healthscreen.
What an absolute contradiction in terms!

God bless, Janelle x

Steph, I am surprised as well. Since Steve is totally covered by the VA, why do you even need supplemental insurance for him? Why make him go through it?

Because for him to go to usf or if an emergency occurred and we werent home we would need it. He gets exempted from all the measures that have to be met as long as he gives the blood. Its a stupid system.

Also Donna, the VA bills back to this insurance to recoup some cost.

Goose....there are many things that can affect the waist size of a PAL. If Steve is still able eat, calories can be the culprit. That coupled with the inactivity associated with muscle decline.
I can still eat, but it is getting tricky with the muscle loss in my throat, and swallowing reflex. I would like to loose some weight....but why? I still enjoy food, and tend to eat a lot of calories and carbs. It is very difficult to maintain discipline when something you still enjoy is bad for you.

Core muscles are the main reason and the carbs. However the carbs are so important and need to be consumed in high quantities for a PALS.
A PALS losing weight is in worse trouble than one with the belly.

Chris never had the belly but he looked like a concentration camp prisoner and was around 47 kg when he died. I wish he would have scoffed down the calories!

Hey goose, with me it,s the same because I am in the pwc more and more these days I have seen my body go through crazy changes. I had tight abs but not any more as my arms,hands,legs and feet drop off. I have to watch losing wt. as I dont eat much. It's all a juggling act! What a long strange trip this is! Love ya chally

I am not complaining ....Steve isnt particularly happy because he had worked so hard in the couple of years before symptoms to get in good shape again. We just thought 8" was a lot. He is still eating, in his pwc or the couch when he isnt sleeping, and he eats a lot of carbs because they are easier to swallow. Steve was just very discouraged to see the report. Everything seems to be out of whack...it isnt really but that is his perception.

When the core muscle go , you can't hold your tummy in anymore so your girth size increases, my BJ is the same, we have had to buy bigger pants and shorts, he weighs the same as at diagnosis .
Love and hugs Gem

Gem, Steve weighs the same , too! But the pants size keeps growing. He has never worn this size and he is so distressed

Steph, poor Steve!
He probably wouldn't have noticed except for the report.
I have an expanding waistline. It's because of lack of exercise with me.
I can't tell you quite what I say to people who feel they need to comment about my weight, but I can tell you that I've decided too bad, this is ME. This Thing is part of my life whether I like it or not, so everyone can get on board or bugger off.
Oh my gosh I'm on a soapbox!
Anyway I've seen his photo, you can tell him from me, I think he's gorgeous!
God bless, love Janelle x

Steph, we have the same situation here. Matt was in the best shape of his life when this hit. I've been told the belly is about loss of core muscles. It took quite awhile to convince Matt to NOT try to lose weight to get rid of the belly. He gained 40 pounds when this all started and is holding steady. Its just as if everything from his legs has transformed into that belly...

Exactly! All the losses elsewhere are in his belly. Steve wanted to cut back on food so we had to have a long talk about what the doctors and dieticians have said.

I put on 25 lbs. since diagnosis. Once a petite, slim woman, I have a somewhat large girth now! I read that PALS who are a little overweight live longer, so I tried to gain weight. Even when I stopped trying, I only continued gaining, partly due to no exercise because of living in my pwc and loss of core muscles. Don't like the feel or looks of it, but it's the least of my worries now, as I continue to enjoy meals.
Charlene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back