Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
We are looking at hiring live in or live out caregivers for my mom who now requires 24 hour care (in Toronto, ON). Can anyone help me understand what the going rate is for hourly care, both live in and live out? I want to offer a fair amount as I would like to attract high quality care, but at the same time we are financially restricted as the costs of managing ALS are very high. Thanks in advance!

I would expect it to be regional. My parents had paid caregivers in Massachusetts and Maryland. Maryland was significantly cheaper. This was several years ago so even if you were in our area our costs would not be helpful. Generally live in have rules about certain amounts of downtime ( fair enough but if she is truly 24 hour care that won't work). If she mostly sleeps at night with one or two wake ups that usually will be ok. Are you planning on hiring privately?

Thanks Nikki! We are hiring privately and found a couple of potential caregivers, but I am just not sure what an appropriate offer would be. We will have 2-3 people covering the 24 hour time period, so the longest shift would never be longer than 10-12 hours.

Can a family member not stay the nights in order to cut costs? I would expect to pay some one at least $1600/mo. for 40 hours a week of care giving work so that would be over $6000 month for 24/7 care ...remember that you get what you pay for. I know of one helper that just got hired on for $15/HR. doing live in services...There is just no real easy answers with this disease.

I agree it's regional and know nothing about how things are in Canadian provinces. Perhaps Paulette would know more for hers.

But look at local help/work wanted listings online and off, including craigslist, student job banks, care dot com dot ca, etc.

Does the CCAC not look after that?
Vincent

In Sacramento, Ca. I pay $19.00 an hour. But I hire through a group that takes care of the federal taxes, etc. So the caregivers actually get $15.00 an hour. I have someone morning and night for getting up and going back to bed. And then a friend and I take care of day time - more companionship, adjusting the dynavox, and the power chair. If you're income is low enogh, I understand there are govt. programs which will pay more than 1/2 of the cost of full time caregivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back