Reason
Friend was DX
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
My friend was diagnosed at the beginning of the year and this weekend I will see her for the first time.

She's told me that it's progressed quite quickly and asked me to try not to be shocked.

I know that I should act normally but does anyone have any help on how to be as supportive as possible?

Thanks in advance

I am going to try to link a couple of recent threads that were similar in nature
She will love seeing you
Try to do something fun. You may have to modify it but something you always did together would be great.

See this thread
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/tips-tricks-gadgets/29742-tips-hosting-friend-als.html

And this
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/newly-diagnosed/29800-need-advice-visit.html

If you know more details of your friend's current status and if you can share if you are staying with her or going just for a day we might be able to help more

You must have a very good relationship, to be invited. Here's some advice on what you can do to be supportive when you visit a Person with ALS (PALS).

First, it helps to understand the disease a little bit.

The motor nerves in her brain and brain stem are being destroyed by ALS, so her muscles can't get a signal to contract. Eventually, all voluntary muscles are paralyzed. The sensory nervous system is not affected, so she can still feel everything. There's no cure.

If she's warning you that she's progressed quickly, she's probably in a wheelchair by now, or needing to be fed. Possibly she's in a hospital bed breathing air through a tube. Hopefully, she's got someone to care for her, 24/7, until she dies. People normally last 2-5 years. A few last longer. My wife was dead in 8 months.

She might have made a decision to stay alive as long as possible, using a feeding tube and trache, or she might have decided to let the disease take her before it gets too advanced. Support her choice whatever it is.

The greatest fear of a PALS is that they might eventually become "totally locked in," that is, totally paralyzed from the eyeballs to the toes. In this far advanced case, all muscles become limp and useless, including the eyes, so communication is impossible.

Remember that her mind is probably totally unaffected by the disease. She still has all her cognitive functions and memories. She is still the person she always was, personality and brilliance and all. Just her voluntary muscles won't move. She can still feel things, both physically and emotionally.

Sometimes, a PALS will suffer Frontal Temporal Dementia, where the personality gets a little short-tempered. Be patient. A few get Emotional Lability, where they laugh or cry uncontrollably for no reason. It's not a change in personality, it's just one possible affect of the disease. Take it in stride.

What can you say? Talk to her or just sit quietly with her. She may find it difficult to talk because either the tongue or the lungs are weak. My wife liked for me to massage her gently quite a bit.

How can you help? Actually, it's her caregiver that may need a lot of help. It's a tiring, 24-hour-a-day job. She may need someone to massage swollen legs, scratch where it itches, reposition her arms, legs, and neck in bed. The caregiver might have little time to sleep, so you can help by doing the laundry, washing dishes, and doing chores that are taking up the caregiver's time.

Some PALS just don't want to be seen like this. So for you, it's really a special honor that she's invited you. I suspect that you are both wonderful people. Good luck. --Mike

Mike outlined the things that you can do to help in a perfect way. I would add few things that helped with my sister: treat her normally and talk to her about normal life as if she was the friend you have known forever with no disease. My sister seeked compassion from the closest people.. meaning, it was OK to cry with her and she actually felt that she was not alone. Don't tell her that she will be OK.. Try to remember and talk about stories, events and places that you were together and talk foldly about them.

We used to watch movies together and sometimes just snuggled in her hospital bed.. Agree with Mike that she must really love you to invite you at this time. Enjoy and cherish the time together!

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies, I'm really grateful.

I know she isn't as far along as needing a wheelchair but a walker and she has suggested to go out for the day which is positive. I just want to be supportive as possible for what she needs.

I'm sure we will have a lovely time whatever happens.

Thanks again!

That is great. I don't have a walker but a leg brace. The things I appreciate when out with someone are 1. Allowing me to set the pace ( if someone walks too fast it becomes a struggle quickly) and if they naturally work rest periods into the day whether it is stopping for a coffee or just a place where you can sit for a bit

As well as problems with walking long distances, fatigue can be the biggest thing.

Plan a day out that has lots of interesting things to see, but lots of relaxing breaks too. It's hard to describe until you have lived with it but their bodies are burning calories like you won't believe just to maintain the body, let alone be active. If she does too much on the day out she will be exhausted for days after.

So the trick is to think of ways of having a lovely outing that isn't too exhausting.

Nikki makes a great point about letting her set the pace too.

I agree with all of theses thoughts too. I visited my friend frequently and therefore understood
her speech, especially the nuances, etc. We just spent time together, sitting outside, sometimes
not talking, just being. She saw that I was comfortable not having to talk all the time too, just
being. At times I read things to her too, or we watched movies, going with the flow. Also, I
wrote letters for her on nice note cards, something she valued. I which you a beautiful time
with your friend!

It's ok to cry. Knowing that you truly share her pain, frustration and anguish is all good.
That's from my point of view, you know your friend , whether or not that would really be appropriate.
I just find when friends and family let their feelings showing, it shows me I'm not alone. I swear my dad has hugged me more in the last 18 months than the whole rest of my life.
Enjoy your time together. Whatever you do will be special for both of you.
Thank you, on your friend's behalf for enquiring. Shows what a beautiful friend you are.
God bless, Janelle x

don't pretend like nothing is wrong or different. that would be minimizing her and what is going on. as Janelle said, it is ok to cry. but it is also ok to joke and laugh--that takes the power away from the disease.

in other words, cry when you see her, then move on. she is the same woman! just love her

It sounds like it's early in the prognosis for your friend, which is good. Again, I love all the suggestions above.

Please don't show up expecting food served because Atsugi's (Mike) point was good. Care taking is exhausting. I can't believe how many family members show up here and sit around waiting for meals. His son and daughter came and just took over (kindly) meals and I was extremely grateful. The suggestions for the outings were good. My pals is a teaser so he loves the same kind of kidding and back and forth that he always shared with friends.

One dear friend who is traveling in their motor home send biweekly "love" packages. Little gizmos she picks up at the Dollar Store or something related to whatever National Day it is. Example: a small roll of pink ribbon duct tape on National Duct Tape day; a package of vegetable snacks for National Eat your Vegetables Day. Cute thoughtful things that make me smile and know she's thinking about me and she sends a card with a chatty note telling me how/what they are doing.

I'm surprised only by our 'best friends', husband and wife, who say call us for anything but then have a busy schedule if I do call. Those twice weekly card games are important dates they must keep! Other friends call from the grocery store and ask if we need anything. One husband just comes and helps me diagnose mechanical stuff. His wife visits other times.

What helps most at this later stage for my pals is folks just calling and showing up to take care of little chores so I can run errands or take short naps. Later on if you live nearby you can call and tell her caretaker, "I'm available all or anytime Wednesday for example so I can relieve you and take care of whatever you need.

Your friend is lucky to have you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back