Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Fort Worth
We live inTexas too. My health insurance from work has been terminated. My FMLA time ran out. Cobra is crazy high. My husband has Medicare, but not sure what else I need to do. Now we will only have Medicare for him, since I can not afford cobra. What do you recommend ? New to all of this too !

I moved this to its own thread as it is a different issue than Marty's.
Texas does not have expanded medicaid unfortunately. So your choices will depend on your family income. If you make enough between ssdi pensions unemployment etc but not too much you may qualify for a good ACA subsidy. You can buy midyear if you lose your insurance due to job loss end of CoBRA etc ( you do not have to take cobra or if you have it use it til it expires. Traditional medicaid is probably tough to get unless you are indigent.
Good luck

Oh I just looked back and see he is a vet? There is a program for spouses. Usually it is to supplement your insurance but check and see. Even if so MAYBE you can get away with the highest deductible plan around ask the pva rep

go on the ACA website. I think you can sign up out of enrollment period iif you have a loss of coverage from job. We get a reduced rate because of, well everything, and it is affordable to us. less than when I had private coverage.

have your tax return with you so you can get a quote.

you need to be covered! don't think he is the only one that matters. the caregiver needs to stay healthy

ChampVA is healthcare for the spouses and children of disabled vets. It can supplement existing policies but is also a standalone coverage like Medicare. ChampVA is free.
As with Medicare there are supplemental policies that can cover the 20% not covered by ChampVA.

Hi Chumpy,
Texas is certainly not a good place for benefits for people with our issues but since he is a vet he will have more options and you should get more help. I see that your husband was diagnosed in November. I am guessing that you stopped working some time ago if your FMLA ran out. Curious because I cannot get it in Texas. Sorry that you have already had to stop working as that thought scares me. For such a rare disease there are several people with ALS in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area. Best wishes to you and hopefully the awesome advise from this forum will help you to get the insurance you need.

CHUMPY: Because you're the spouse of a Permanently and Totally Disabled Veteran, you are eligible for CHAMPVA. Call 1-800-733-8387 and enroll.

Sadly, he has not been approved for VA benefits. His DD214 didn't show his active duty over the required days? I don't understand what to do to fix it. I took FMLA in April after he got his G tube. He is also an alcoholic, and has not coped well at all with any of it. Different formulas caused him to throw up. Finally got on right formula. But depression has overwhelmed him. He drinks 4 or 5 days then as he says recoups a couple of days. We have tried antidepressants. But, I have come to accept his decisions. He says he doesn't want to be sober anymore. It hurts too much (emotionally).
Anyway I'm rambling sorry. Back to the issue at hand. I have lost my coverage through work, I can not afford cobra. I know I need it too, but he has a hospital bed, BiPap and a few other machines, as well as expensive formula. What is the best and least expensive way to ensure he keeps the things he needs?

Thank you all for all of your time and effort! I pray for you all! God Bless

I am sorry. A lot of people get caught in the active duty for training trap. So unfair.

Look at medicaid for both of you though it may not work. Look at aca for you

I will Nikki thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back