US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Hubby and Heidi went for a walk
Heidi smelled a rabbit and didn't wait to talk
She shot into the ditch and ran around a bush
And hubby tired to follow her and landed on his tush.

Sigh. This only happened because I took a sick day and went back to bed after getting my sweetie up and dressed. Our daughter is here for the weekend so I've been tryng to recover from whatever has my sinuses running and my voice sounding like an old frog that's about to croak. I'd just dragged myself out of bed to warm a bowl of soup when he called me on his cell phone to say that he'd tipped his chair over in a ditch and it was laying on top of him. Our daughter and I raced up the road to find him, and sure enough, he and Heidi were smack in the center of a posion ivy patch with the chair on top of them, down in a ditch. The chair hadn't gone over sidways, but rather face first. The headrest was planted in the ground. Thank heavens he didn't have his chest strap or AFOs on or he'd have been trapped! We managed to get him free of the chair and comfortable, and a CNA driving by stopped to help while we waited for EMS. LOL...they took one look and said "that's not what we expected to see". Since hubby is very sensitive to poison ivy they convinced him to be transported to the hospital. According to the xrays nothing is broken, so we're back home with prednisone and attarax for poison ivy and more pills for his pain.

We're both showered and checked over for ticks and poison rashes, and now I'm hoping for a good night's sleep!

LOL...daughter says he's grounded from walking the dog. He smirked. I guess he's ok until the aches and pains show up tomorrow. The controller on his chair, which just came back from having an actuator replaced, is another story. Oh well, better the chair than him...

I got my pwc stuck in the mud. Had to call youngest son to help. I'm grounded from walking the dogs there anymore, too.

It wasn't nearly as exciting as his trip, tho! Glad he's OK!

OMG what a crazy story! I can only imagine the fear you felt racing out of the house after that call!

sounds like it could have been a lot worse than it was so it is all good. why is it of all the places he could fall over, it would be a poison ivy patch... At least you have a funny story to tell!

Glad he's OK. Hope you and your sinuses can get some rest.

Oh dear, poison ivy! What a thing to happen! Glad hubby is okay. Hope you got some rest and are feeling better too. I find myself getting symptoms like that too sometimes, I think the stress takes its toll on my body. Are you taking your vitamins and drinking lots of fluids?

Glad all ok. Bet Heidi sat wagging her tail like she'd done a good thing!

I hope nothing happens because of the poison ivy, and that you are feeling better soon.
God bless, Janelle x

I have hiked, and played in the bush my entire life, and rarely saw poison ivy. Then I met Tim and we went walking near his place in Lewisville Texas and I saw it everywhere, they were trees! The funniest poison ivy case I saw in ER was a young man who had taken a hike in the bush with his girlfriend, and for some weird reason he had the worst poison ivy lesions I have ever seen on his forearms and knees, but no where else and he had been wearing jeans. His face was about as read as the injured parts.
Glad to hear that he is no worse for wear, but what ever possessed him to chase after a dog in a pwc is beyond me,,,, men.
Paulette

Great little poem nuts :)
I guess I'm much the same, what I can't understand is why he thought he had to race after Heidi at all. Dogs see the world through their noses and will always cover at least 4 times as much ground as the human they are 'walking' with.

I can't quite figure whether I hope he has enough pain to teach him caution or to hope he feels much better tomorrow ... :lol:

My hubby had had a few derailments while driving his PWC but never had a story like yours to tell. Glad things turned out ok.

Now THAT was an adventure! What a visual you gave us all! I'm glad everything worked out and I hope you get a good rest.

Sherry

Well, day two and he seems ok except for a zillion bug bites and tender feet where the foot plates dug into them until he got out from under. He was on the ground over 20 minutes and the bugs feasted, but so far it doesn't look like the poison ivy got him. Yesterday he was completely drained and didn't get out of bed, but he was up and off to breakfast with his buddy this morning. He even took Heidi for a short walk, with instructions to stay away from the side of the road. Me, I'm still tired and just want to sleep. I don't know whether I'm run down or having sympathetic tiredness. Or maybe it was the bottle of wine we killed when my sister in law and neighbor stopped by last night to check on us...

His next adventure is buying a trailor to carry both PWCs, the shower chair, hoyer, and other assorted equipment needed for a hunting trip to Colorado. Since the van can't tow, he's determined that we will go in the pickup truck. He got in and out with the transfer board, but has resisted any long drives to check his comfort level. He was also planning to put hand controls in the truck and drive. We reached a compromise today--he won't drive and I'll stop telling him that he can't make that long journey in the truck seat. It's his trip; if his is miserable we'll just turn around and come home. Sigh. On the other hand, maybe I'll just put him in his chair in the trailor. Hmmmm....

I vote you put him in the chair in the trailer!

Tillie :lol:

As I posted in the Pub thread, we had a second PWC accident. Going down a hill walking the dog the chair suddenly did a 180 turn, spilling hubby onto the road and dumping the chair on top of him again. This time he tore up his elbow and was left with a sore collar bone and neck.
Seeing him like that a second time has really undermined me... No EMS this time; he insisted that we bring the Hoyer out and lift him ourselves. That was quite a sight.

It turns out that both falls were the chair's fault. It had a faulty motor distribution amp, so power went to one side and not the other, forcing him into a turn. I had to drive it home with the joystick pushed all the way to one side to get it to drive straight.

I can't get over how lucky we are to have not suffered any serious injury (just a case of poison ivy)! Never a dull moment...

So, if your chair starts to pull to one side (like it needs a front end alignment), stay on a flat surface, go slow, and get it in for repair.

Oh Nuts,

That is not funny. I am so sorry he was hurt again. Damn chair!

Sherry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back