Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
last couple of weeks husband has been noticeably more tired and thinner. voice getting softer too. last night noticed a "sweet" smell to his breath--still has it today, and his voice is just barely above a whisper and becomes all breathy at the end of his sentence.

I have asked him if is feeling badly-he just says tired. my poor baby...:(

Sweet breath: Could it be ketoacidosis from a low carb diet? I've read that this is the body burning its own fat.

he eats potatoes every day--and drinks boost and ice cream so I think he gets enough carbs. just not enough calories over all. sweet breath always makes me think illness. I remember my babies getting it be fore they would come down with something. It is one of those things that worries me.

Oh barbie, I feel for you.
Take care of you...we are all here for support.
God bless, Janelle x

Fruity breath and tiredness are signs of ketoacidosis.

Can you up his calorie intake ... ?

Barbie,
I know exactly what you mean about the breath, before the tragedy of ALS, Raymond was diagnosed with lung cancer. Before we knew about the cancer, for at least a month before diagnosis, his scent, just overall personal scent had changed noticeably (only to me). If you've noticed a difference with your hubby, then something's up (my feeling anyhow). Especially if his daily routine is getting more difficult and he seems more tired. Wrap him up with love, sending you hugs and strength, I hope you can find out what's going on with him. Blessings to you,
Grace

Barbie,
I just re read my post, (should have done that first I guess) and I was in no way suggesting cancer, just sharing my own experience with scent change, hope that came across-
Grace

Hi Barbie. It does sound like something is up. Sounds like upping the carb intake is a good idea to start with to see if it makes a difference. I hope you get to the bottom of it. Such a worry when we don't know quite what is happening inside our PALS. Let us know how you are getting on. Thinking of you.

If he is really in ketoacidosis, which is usually seen in diabetes and alcoholism, his blood glucose would be too high already, so I wouldn't push ice cream. KA would also be a hospital kind of thing, normally. It doesn't sound like ketosis, the response to a high-protein diet, that I think some of the posts are referring to.

Things I would think about would include hydration, the balance of protein to carbs, changing the BiPAP filter, cleaning the humidifier, tweaking the Trilogy and checking his glucose w/ a fingerstick. But it's also true, as you've said, that at certain illness onset/stages, smell changes and this could be a new phase, which the rest of what you've said supports. Only the two of you can decide if/how you want to deal with it.

Also if the CO2 is rising the body the body chemistry becomes more acidic (acidosis) and the breath become fruity smelling from the acetone. I think that that is more likely than anything else. Barbie this is going to be a tough time, as there is little to do without hospitalizing and ventilating, and I doubt your husband wants that from what you have said in the past. We are here for you, and you know you can call me at any time.

Love Paulette

Hugs Barbie, everything has been said concerning what is maybe behind it all, so I'll just hold your hand as whatever is happening unfolds. Such a warrior.

Love you girlfriend

hugs to barbie.

sending good energy your way as you two get to the cause.you guys are true warriors. love chally

I am ok with what ever happens--I think we are both ready for it to be over. I don't know what is behind the new downturn, but his history is usually a down grade and then stabilization again...eventually I know that that down grade will not stabilize however. if he is in another drop, it is not very serious yet. but I can see it happening. so can my kids actually, they brought it up to me this weekend.

his stats are ok--O2 is in mid 90s, HR was a little high and BP was a little high but not bad. he won't eat or drink more, I offer and he just refuses. last time this happen it was dehydration, and even though I have reminded him of that I can't force him to drink more.

It is what it is, right?

I am not too worried, but love knowing that all of ya'll are here with me in spirit always!

>It is what it is, right?

right!

Attachments

• 1010567_10151824804000877_1448133180_n.jpg
    1010567_10151824804000877_1448133180_n.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back