Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Has anyone else noticed this with their pals? Steve has been able to maintain his weight but he has a lot of muscle atrophy. It seems everywhere he has lost muscle has settled into his belly and waist. This isn't good because of his breathing issues. Doctors are not concerned. Just me. Any thoughts?

I have heard of this repeatedly. anyone who keeps up their weight gets a Budda belly. my husband has the opposite problem--he is so rail thin you can count ever bone in his body and no belly

I'm a Budda, your a Budda, wouldn't you like to be a Budda to?

Yes it happens, it is as though you weight relocates. My legs are the thinnest they have been in 30 years, so are my arms. My belly is as voluptuous as ever....oh I forgot to talk about my butt, it is significantly smaller as well. I don't like the looks of it.....it looks like a pillow case full of door knobs.

Raymond has always had a big belly, he's lost 70 pounds since diagnosis (not a bad thing really) but still has a belly! I think it just that the muscle atrophy makes the rest of him look so small by comparison. I know what you mean though, it seems that the breathing issues might be worse as a result, but since excercise is out of the question, we just have to work with what we've got! :)

Steph, it's unavoidable. But keep doing massage/ROM everywhere it doesn't hurt, for the duration.

Tim had a six pack before this disease showed its ugly head, I had the belly. Now he has the Budda belly, and I overdid it on making sure he didn't lose weight. When he was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago, I changed his smoothies a bit. His weight has come down a bit, but is stable, and his belly is a little smaller. I am sure a lot of it is gas that collects because he doesn't have the stomach muscle to express it. We had a giggling fit the other day, because he was fairly upright in his sling on the toilet, and when the gas let go he started to slump. He also is able to pass gas during his shower while sitting in his shower/commode chair, especially when I lift up one leg at a time to wash under it and stretch it, kind of like the old water taps that you pump. We have great fun with it.

Paulette

I believe it's really quite common as others are saying. Relocation and lack of muscle tone. Chris did not have this but he was truly in starvation and weighed very little. If he had taken in more calories I am sure it would have just stored up in his belly.

>We had a giggling fit the other day, because he was fairly upright

:)

Thanks for all your comments. Steve is very frustrated because he has been told to maintain his weight. This has led to 4 inch increase so far in his waist. He is not happy about it especially as he sees the atrophy. He would rather eat less to not have the belly.

seems like every time i notice something about this nightmare with my body someone than post what i have just noticed. thanks! it sure is good to have friends in this nightmare.my arms and legs are disappearing and for the first time in my life i am getting a roll in the waist. and i still am losing wt. but it's still all good cause i am loving today.

Paulette, diabetes! You wouldn't read about it...
God bless, Janelle x

seems like every time i notice something about this nightmare with my body someone than post what i have just noticed. thanks! it sure is good to have friends in this nightmare.my arms and legs are disappearing and for the first time in my life i am getting a roll in the waist. and i still am losing wt. but it's still all good cause i am loving today.

Chally, your positivity is a true inspiration to all.
God bless, Janelle x

We have the same situation here. The ALS....errr.... Buda belly...means none of hubby's pants fit, so we've replaced them with sweatpants.

Paulette, Diabetes now! Geeezzzz. I've gave up the fight on the Diabetes when the nutritionist said he should eat what he wants and just adjust his insulin. His A1C jumped from 7 something to over 10 after that, so now my instructions are to feed him healthy at home but he's still eating out when he can. Unfortunately, I'm eating with him and at this rate I'll weigh more than him pretty soon!

Pete, thanks. I've now got "Wouldn't you like to be a Buda too" running through my head. Too funny!

Oh yes, the hits just keep coming!

Nuts we have gone to velcro in place of buttons and elastic waistbands also. In my younger years he would laugh as I would lay on ghe bed trying to get the skinny jeans buttoned. Now he just says I need more clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back