Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Midwest
I have been reading the posts on this website for several months. My husband was diagnosed with ALS in May 2014. It encourages me to read here and realize that I am ok with how I am feeling and dealing with this everyday. I pretty much have to do everything for him now.
The reason I wanted to post a message is I am curious if there are other former National Guard members that have been diagnosed with ALS. We were advised my a VA advocate to file for benefits. We submitted everything & the VA approved my husband. The VA was very good to us, installed ramp, PWC & other needed items. Now 8 months later, we get notified that he is not eligible & benefits are being severed. The "training" does not qualify as active duty. That is the law & we know that now. My daughter & I are actively trying to get this looked at more closely. If you served in any branch of the military, you have a 50-60% greater chance of being diagnosed with ALS. Why is that? Could it be the immunizations/vaccinations received in "training"? While my husband was in training for 5 months, he was the property of the US Army. If something these military people experienced in "training" causes this ALS, we feel they should be eligible for benefits.
Thanks for listening

Sorry you have to be here, but it's the best place for you.
We have no real idea why our service gave als, only guesses. Some think it's the stress, others blame the inoculations, and for the more recent vets it's thought the crap Saddam put in the air did it.
We'll probably never know.

I find it particularly curious because it seems the US is the only country in the world that links ALS to active duty.

Interesting since it is a world-wide disease of unknown cause. Now and then I do ponder and wonder what your gov. might know but have never told anyone ...

Sorry that you lost those benefits. They won't take stuff back or try and charge you money for anything they did I hope?

The research summary I read (years ago) said that US military personnel of all specialties, from all around the world, during the first Persian Gulf War were significantly affected, especially in the war zone.

At the time, I was involved in war preparations in Europe, as was my PALS. I'm certain that the US secretly transported chemical weapons around the world to the war zone.

I don't know why the "presumption" was extended to all active duty. Possibly unpublished research? Possibly to draw any investigation away from the Bush administration's decision to deploy CW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back