I got my husband out of the house today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbie

Extremely helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
I am so proud of my husband--today he went to a program at my daughter's college to see her work! I can't even remember the last time he went out--it might have been months. not only did he go to the program, but he agreed to go out to eat afterwards. first he said no like always, but I asked him to do it for her and that he could just sit with us which would make her happy. he did more than that though, he ordered a beer(he doesn't drink anymore!) and he asked if the waitress could get the cooks to chop some food very finely. I had a Boost with me, but I am much happier that he agreed to eat some sushi! it was a lot of fun and very tiring. Tiring for both of us apparently...we got home, fell into bed for a nap (me too) and woke up 3 hours later!

it was 8:00 when he said, we should get up--I opened my eyes and started complaining that it was Saturday and I didn't have to get up so early! but I kept wondering why is was so dark out side still....he he

What a great achievement for him Barbie! No matter how tired, you all now have another wonderful memory :) happy dance!

Oh Barbie, what a glorious day! We all understand how much fortitude it took for him to do all this in a day! Think he gave you and your daughter "a love letter" by his actions today! Hooray.

Wonderful! Glad to hear that he made the effort and had a good time. I love to hear happy stories on here.

That is great news Barbie! I am so happy for you both! :)

Glad you guys got a chance to get out and everyone went. It is so nice when you can do a family activity. Did you do your happy dance?

>I am so proud of my husband--today he went to a program at my daughter's college to see her work!

wonderful for all!

What a wonderful gift! Not just going out, but eating AND a beer!

Isn't is strange how tired we can get too?

I'm inspired!

Barbie, how wonderful! That is so great to hear! And going out for a meal on top of it!

We did have a little trouble when we were out. he drives his chair with his shoulder movement to push his hand forward on the joy stick. it wore him out completely and he could only go a very short ways before he had to stop. we don't have an attendant control and he would not convey to me what he was dealing with. his body got all slumpy and crooked in his chair and he looked terrible! I guess in hind sight that the driving was exhausting him so that made it harder to sit in his chair and talk as well. He was just whispering to me so I could hardly hear him even with my ear up to his mouth. I got a bit snippy with him actually--my daughter had to tell me to stop being mean and just help him. but sometimes I feel like he is trying to control everything and get attention by being extra needy when we are with others or I am involved in something.

finally he let me drive his chair for him with the joy stick, but he had it set at a faster speed and I had trouble controlling it. after he slowed it down and we got him readjusted in the chair I drove him around for a while more. over all, he was a good sport and as usually I was a B****:twisted: but not too bad!

Oh Barbie, your post just makes my heart dance. Thank you for sharing such a wonderfully blessed outing.

YAY!

It brought a smile to my face to read this Barbie! I am so glad you guys got out. A nap was well deserved afterward too!
We have an attendant control on Grumpy's chair but it took me awhile to get used to it lol! I have to keep the speed turned down and concentrate lol!
Hugs to you both,
~Kaye

It's never easy, is it? It's sort of funny how when we have a good experience people assume it was easy when we know the amount of effort (and often conflict) that goes into it. Barbie, will you be getting an attendent control?

That is wonderful news, Barbie! I am sure your daughter will cherish that memory.
My PALS hasn't been out of the house in months, except for sitting out side in the sun for a few minutes every day. He says his neck gets tired easily with all the jostling. He will wear the cervical collar only for a little while, after that he says it makes him feel too warm. I can't drive his chair properly either, I usually let one of the kids drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back