Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Husband has been coughing since 9 am this morning it is now 2:45 pm. on the trilogy, used the cough assist, resting, not sure what his bp and O2 levels are (I am at work and he is with the caregiver) he feels awful and tired. color is ok though. I think he needs to get an anxiety drug to help --once he gets so worked up there is no stopping it. do not want to go to the hospital...

{{{hugs}}} Barbie :(

Has his temperature been checked?
Could be pneumonia.

So hard to tell from a distance and text descriptions and if he doesn't want medical assistance then hugging you is all I can do as I remember that a year ago now Chris was home from the aspiration pneumonia and just how awful the whole choking/coughing thing is.

I so clearly remember the feelings I went through - wanting to get medical attention for him, but understanding that he was only becoming more frail and more disabled after each setback and so not wanting medical intervention either.

Do you have anything w/ codeine in it? That could help. Even ordinary Robitussin-type syrups are worth a try. As you say, your provider can't call in codeines but can clonazepam. Warm lime or lemon juice...

DK how cold it is there -- could also try ice pack/cold compress pats around his face and neck. And maybe similarly on his feet/gentle foot rub.

If the CG knows how, would increase Ti on the Trilogy and cancel backup rate/volume control if set.

home now, he is sleeping. the coughing slowed down by 3:30 and he laid down. he is whipped--kinda moaning in his sleep. no temp. called his doc but what can he do? said if he was in resp. distress take him to the hospital. ..not going there. want to avoid the resp. distress.

just looked at the trilogy. rr is 18 and he is asleep. VTE is 360 leak is 40 pip is 8 mep is 14

Husband has been coughing since 9 am this morning it is now 2:45 pm. on the trilogy, used the cough assist, resting, not sure what his bp and O2 levels are (I am at work and he is with the caregiver) he feels awful and tired. color is ok though. I think he needs to get an anxiety drug to help --once he gets so worked up there is no stopping it. do not want to go to the hospital...

Hey Barbie, sorry your and your hubby are having such a rough time.
I have a suggestion about calming, have you tried chamomile or bergamot? The teas can be helpful and so can the essential oils.

I was thinking that just rubbing some EO on his chest when he's coughing might calm his mind and his body enough to get a hold on the coughing.

Both can help mood, as well. Bergamot can make one sun-sensitive, so be cautious with sun exposure after use. Some with sensitive skin can use the oils if they are diluted with another oil, like coconut or sesame.

jen

Jen, not today, but I have given him a weak chamomile or calming herbal tea with honey and lemon to help in the past. the lemon and the warm tea seem to help the mucus. I did suggest that to the care giver but not sure if she did it. when he is having an attack it is hard to do anything he is so needed in so many ways at once.

perhaps when he gets up this evening I will do it.

i completely understand!

fyi, you can rub essential oils into his feet and diffuse it in the air.
i buy my essentials from amazon. now foods is the brand i buy. more affordable than the clubs that are out there.

Jen

Barbie, hope your DH is feeling better after the nap. If he doesn't want to go to the hospital, would you guys consider getting hospice again? I remember you didn't have a very positive experience last time, but may be a different provider, if that is possible?
You guys are always in my thoughts.

Barbie, My sister has had these episodes few times now and it does get very stressful. We have found out that in her case a little dose of morphine helped. She resisted the last time she had it for so long that it really wiped her out, but once she took the morphine, soon after she calmed down and the cuphing stopped. Just a thought.. thinking about you !

he is feeling ok today--still some slight coughing more than normal--but not like yesterday. after he got up I did give him some herbal tea with lemon and honey and it seemed to help. he agreed as well. took his BP, was 156/118! yikes. he is usually 120/65. by bed time it was 135/112 but his O2 was only 90 and his HR was 110. this morning, 125/110, hr was 100 and O2 was 96 again.

the doctor is resistant to an anxiety drug like Ativan or morph...is worried about the resp. suppression. I feel odd, telling him that that is what so many Pals take but he does not have the experience with ALS. he said he would talk with the Pulno and get back with me.

It's up to you Barbie, but the difference a tiny dose of morphine or clonazepam would make is huge without negatively affecting his breathing.

Also, who the hell cares if it depresses his breathing a little when he is in panic for hours at a time, distress and how much fear?

You NEED palliative advice just now from someone who knows what they are talking about for your own sake as well as his.

{{hugs}}

>ifference a tiny dose of morphine or clonazepam

that and constipation w/ morphine ....

The greater systemic effects of morphine, and codeine's being more specific for cough is why we stuck w/ oxycodone till the last week. I think I absentmindedly typed hydro- rather than oxy- in some of my previous posts. What I meant to type was oxycodone.

Barbie, what about lexapro? I don't think it has the breathing side effects.. Also hydroxyzine pamoate has been given for help sleeping and anxiety without the breathing side effects. Is your husband still taking a beta blocker?

Hugs Barbie. Thinking of you and your family

:(........... i been doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back