Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Tiny town w/no stoplight!
Hey all, haven't been on in awhile - things are very hairy here, these days. Trying my best for my sweet hubby but being called a b**ch by his daughter in front of him and our respite care-giver doesn't help.

Oh, my poor hubby now has both shoulders in pain. He cannot put his arms over his chest so I can turn him on his side in bed. They slide down to his side. I try to hold the one closest to me with one hand and pull his transfer sheet to roll him over to me, with my other hand, then his other hand slides down, try to adjust his head at same time and his neck is sore. OMG I just don't know how to turn him without hurting him.

Looking up videos on YouTube and everyone is turning patients by rolling them over from behind - his arm will get caught on the other side as like I mentioned, he can't cross his arms over his chest or raise them.

Our OT does ROM on his arms but very slowly and very limited motion. Any ideas of what I can do to ease my poor hubby's suffering?

Contact the respite agency. Their "caregiver" should certainly help.

Can he sleep on his back? The physical therapist gave us an oversized head wedge memory foam. It supports the head and shoulders relieving pressure points. It came from patterson medical

>The physical therapist gave us an oversized head wedge memory foam

that works for me too with a big pillow bent in half

Larry was "unturnable." We never tried. If you are trying to turn him for pressure relief, I'd agree w/ trying to make him comfortable on his back. I've posted our mods on other threads, but I'd check that the bed starts w/ head/feet at 15 degrees and go from there, relieve pressure on heels w/ boots, keep hips aligned w/ foam belt above knees/pillows below if necessary, cushion elbows/forearms, consider a foam overlay if you don't have one, reconsider the pillow type/position (e.g. if he is intolerant of a pillow that puts pressure on his shoulders, make sure the bottom edge of the pillow has a lot of give and place it so it rests just above his shoulders).

If you are trying to turn him for other reasons, let us know so we can suggest something different.

It was the same here and 'putting Chris on his side' was really only getting the pressure directly off his bum and using pillows and wedges to hold his arms so they were supported. So he was effectively still on his back, with just a little shifting of the hips and legs.

I had an electric hoist so I was able to get him in and out of the bed without having to shift those frozen shoulder joints about.

A few times I had either my OT or Palliative care nurse help me with work out how to adjust my methods with positioning him in bed as he progressed and it made a huge difference. Having someone else actually trying things with me and working strategies out left me very confident. Another tip, I usually took photos after one of these sessions so I would know exactly how we had him and where pillows were. Amazing how much fine detail CALS forget an hour later!

I've attached a photo of Chris 'on his side' when we had the pressure sore developing in the last months. Apart from the shoulder issues he couldn't breathe over on his side anyway.

Attachments

• chrisside.jpg
    chrisside.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 425
Larry was "unturnable." We never tried. If you are trying to turn him for pressure relief, I'd agree w/ trying to make him comfortable on his back. I've posted our mods on other threads, but I'd check that the bed starts w/ head/feet at 15 degrees and go from there, relieve pressure on heels w/ boots, keep hips aligned w/ foam belt above knees/pillows below if necessary, cushion elbows/forearms, consider a foam overlay if you don't have one, reconsider the pillow type/position (e.g. if he is intolerant of a pillow that puts pressure on his shoulders, make sure the bottom edge of the pillow has a lot of give and place it so it rests just above his shoulders).

If you are trying to turn him for other reasons, let us know so we can suggest something different.

He does sleep well on his back all night with his knees propped up with two pillows and one pillow under his feet (feather pillow so I can adjust it, flatten it, puff it up etc. during the night). It's just when I get him into bed, his shoulders are so sore when I try to turn him on his side so I can remove the sling as well as slide his adapted clothing off :-(

It was the same here and 'putting Chris on his side' was really only getting the pressure directly off his bum and using pillows and wedges to hold his arms so they were supported. So he was effectively still on his back, with just a little shifting of the hips and legs.

I had an electric hoist so I was able to get him in and out of the bed without having to shift those frozen shoulder joints about.

A few times I had either my OT or Palliative care nurse help me with work out how to adjust my methods with positioning him in bed as he progressed and it made a huge difference. Having someone else actually trying things with me and working strategies out left me very confident. Another tip, I usually took photos after one of these sessions so I would know exactly how we had him and where pillows were. Amazing how much fine detail CALS forget an hour later!

I've attached a photo of Chris 'on his side' when we had the pressure sore developing in the last months. Apart from the shoulder issues he couldn't breathe over on his side anyway.

Tillie

Hya Tillie,

Yes, Chris looked super-comfy in that position :) Great idea to take photos - I didn't think of that. I have a mind like a sieve sometimes and forget but luckily Ron reminds me exactly where each body part should go and what hurts although sometimes I will go a little too far and he lets me know it! The only thing that freaks me out is when he barks at me. I told him that when he barks I will stop and let him finish and then continue with turning etc. He told me that I want to torture him - but then gave me a little giggle and a wink - LOL! Love that Celexa he is on :D

Ah getting the sling off!

I never rolled Chris to get the sling off because that would have ruined the positioning I had achieved with the hoist.

I'm just uploading to you tube the section of my hoist video that shows how I used to remove the sling without rolling.

My connection is slow so I will come back with the link in a while ...

OK it's on you tube now

This video was taken months before Chris passed, but even as his head and neck weakened I was still able to remove the sling the same way.

https://youtu.be/TLDwQS9AdbA

Hi Heather my husband will only sleep on his side--I don't see how he is NOT in pain with this skinny bony shoulders, but he says not. to keep him in position, I have a long half roll pillow that wedges under his back, and a small fluffy pillow that I prop under his arm so it doesn't hang and create pressure. his head pillow fits under his neck and head only so his shoulder is not smooshed, and our bed elevates the head and/or Legs. I also have one shaped like an "I" that goes between his knees to keep them from rubbing and relieve pressure on his lower back.

I spent a lot of time on amazon shopping for all shapes and sizes of different pillows, you never know which one will fit your needs.

Hey Tillie! Well Ron has this HUGE sling and I wouldn't be able to take it off the way you did but hubby had a good idea. As long as I watch his shoulders carefully and push pillows behind his back to hold him on his side, I can roll him one way then roll the sling under him partially; then roll him the other way and I was able to grab the rolled sling from under him - it came out quite easily - phew! The only thing is that I am either getting weaker, or he's gaining weight (Ahhhh - Celexa - he's stuffing his face, on this anti-depressant - LOL!), I have such a hard time holding onto him on his side and positioning the pillows behind him...

First thing I would do is slap the crap out of his daughter. And have her stay with him for one day.

I agree with Patrick on that one. I definitely wouldn't have put up with his daughter's crap. After, the dedication and love you give to your husband and she called you that? I would of knocked her out cold.

Heather have you had an OT out yet to look at your situation with the sling and turning Ron?

It is truly the best way, there are lots of types of slings and an OT can advise if you should get another sling for transfers into bed. They will also show you the correct way to work with moving a person in bed both for Ron's comfort and for the safety of protecting your back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back