10/2014
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Tiny town w/no stoplight!
I just had an AHA moment !

I was going to make hubby a robe that's open at back so it's easier for his arms (put it on from the front) but hubby hates something open in the back - he likes to sit on the back of a robe since he goes commando (sorry, too much information, right? LOL!)

So I got this brainstorm - see drawing:

The robe looks like any other - it's closed in the back but it has snaps at the shoulder and top of the arms - what do you think?

Attachments

• Adaptable robe not open in back but open at shoulder and top of sleeves instead - BETTER IDEA.jpg
    Adaptable robe not open in back but open at shoulder and top of sleeves instead - BETTER IDEA.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 303
I didn't want to put Velcro as it's thick and might irritate hubby's sensitive arms. I've also been adapting his undershirts. Online, they only have undershirts that snap in back with no sleeves. Hubby likes short sleeves on his so I take two undershirts - cut one all the way up in the back close to the armhole just before the sleeve then I take the other one and cut out the piece in the back between the two armholes. I sew one edge to the t-shirt I'll be using then finishing all raw edges and adding snaps where they overlap in back - hubby loves them and his arms don't hurt anymore when we put the sleeves on because you fit the sleeves from the front

Heather, brilliant! I've given a lot of thought to what I'll do when we reach that point, so I appreciate seeing what you've done. Diane has great instructions for pants on her website, and now I have your ideas for shirts and robes! I've studied the cloths on Silverts website and it looks like you've done something close. My sweetie loves his polos and has stacks of new ones bought on sale or at outlets. I hate to use two to make one, but maybe if I use one old one and one new one of the same color it wont be such a waste.

Here's the drawing of the undershirt idea:

Attachments

• Adapted undershirt.jpg
    Adapted undershirt.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 352
Oh, one thought. If the snaps give you any trouble, you can get a very soft velcro made for baby cloths. I don't know if it would be strong enough, but it would be soft.

Oh, one thought. If the snaps give you any trouble, you can get a very soft velcro made for baby cloths. I don't know if it would be strong enough, but it would be soft.

Oh, I didn't know there was such a thing ... Thanks Becky! I'll check that out xxoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back